Antergos Is Working Out Well For Measuring Up Arch Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magika View Post
    As much as I understand that distinction is very thin, by guidelines you shouldn't do so if your flavor isn't vanilla one and its very likely that your thread will be moderated. You could do it sneaky though, but...
    On the link you provided they clearly state that discussions about derivatives are prohibited because of mismatched packages and repos. That means things like manjaro or chakra imho, things like Evo/lution, archbang or antergos who are mainly installers for arch are neither by wording nor explanation included in that imho. While Antergos has its own repo it doesn't supplant any Arch packages afaik, but i admit its touching the border.

Imho some people are just butthurt that "n00bs" can get a working Arch install without any tears to feed on. Its a sad truth that some people only feel good if they see others struggle and suffer, usually thats hidden behind promotion of virtues like diligence and self study so they don't look like elitist assholes ...

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
      Save 5 minutes and lose community support via Arch forums.
      Well, people who need more support than Google, probably shouldn't use linux anyway, especially not Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
        I seem to recall Evolution would not apply a few vital settings by default (e.g. the discard option for SSDs) the last time I tried it, and bluetooth would not work "out of the box". IMO the Antergos installer is much, much easier to use.
        Absolutely. Antergos and Evo are considerably different from one another, and are aimed at different audiences.

Antergos seems to be aimed at less experienced users, providing an "Ubuntu-style" graphical installer that is both very easy to use, and that automates the bulk of the installation process. The desktops and underlying installations it provides are also fully pre-configured, again as if installing something like Ubuntu or Mint off the disc (except Antergos is building the OS on the fly). It's an amazing level of polish and attention to detail.

Evo/lution is aimed at more experienced users, or at least those who want to learn more. The focus is on user-control rather than convenience, and so Evo is a little more flexible in some respects (e.g. more choices and control). Installations are also minimal / vanilla as if installing via the command line (which is the intention). It is essentially a new version of the "Arch Installation Framework" (AIF) for those who remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianB View Post
          On the link you provided they clearly state that discussions about derivatives are prohibited because of mismatched packages and repos. That means things like manjaro or chakra imho, things like Evo/lution, archbang or antergos who are mainly installers for arch are neither by wording nor explanation included in that imho. While Antergos has its own repo it doesn't supplant any Arch packages afaik, but i admit its touching the border.

Imho some people are just butthurt that "n00bs" can get a working Arch install without any tears to feed on. Its a sad truth that some people only feel good if they see others struggle and suffer, usually thats hidden behind promotion of virtues like diligence and self study so they don't look like elitist assholes ...
          If I remember correct they usually close archbang support threads.
          Probably because you are supposed to try help yourself before you ask. A lot of the archbang people has a tendency asking question without doing this first, probably because the system is a black box for them. If this not the case, archbang is probably not really a problem. But I still don't understands why? A traditional arch installation is at least as fast as all the more fluffy installers.

Comment

On the link you provided they clearly state that discussions about derivatives are prohibited because of mismatched packages and repos.
            And preset configuration files. Exactly what Antegros is.

You said that yourself People are just looking for evil elitists when see someone mention Arch. Arch is one of the user friendly distros that simply doesnt hold hands. Just look at community forums and rich wiki with instructions for everything you can imagine.

Some people largely exagerrate time consuming and user-unfriendly difficult installation process which consists of partitioning disk and running pacman to install the base files and go out of their way to invent complex things like Antegros, Manjaro etc. proliferating complexity of installation process and number of possible bugs. Seems opposite to the KISS ideology everyone using Arch trying to embrace.

Comment

Originally posted by eloc574 View Post
              Ahh you beat me to it, i was just about to post about evo! Ive gotten some friends, that were put-off by the command line install, into arch and they like it so far. Its nice since it makes uefi installs much simpiler imo.
              Arch is all about learning to control the force. Its strong in me.

I did everything via commandline, and thats the whole nature behind Arch. If you are unable to even do such baby steps (setting up UEFI was no problem at all), than you shouldn't use Arch but one of its spin offs

And about the netinstall thing: Arch was always about net install, thats also the reason why its so fresh. All guidelines are about netinstalls.

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              A reason why ppl think that the arch ppl are douchebags
              You're the noob. Now leave.

Originally posted by Akka View Post
              If I remember correct they usually close archbang support threads.
              Probably because you are supposed to try help yourself before you ask. A lot of the archbang people has a tendency asking question without doing this first, probably because the system is a black box for them. If this not the case, archbang is probably not really a problem. But I still don't understands why? A traditional arch installation is at least as fast as all the more fluffy installers.
              In Freenode IRC help you will find.
              Last edited by gotwig; 07 December 2014, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                And now i think the same.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                  Arch is all about learning to control the force. Its strong in me.

I did everything via commandline, and thats the whole nature behind Arch. If you are unable to even do such baby steps (setting up UEFI was no problem at all), than you shouldn't use Arch but one of its spin offs

And about the netinstall thing: Arch was always about net install, thats also the reason why its so fresh. All guidelines are about netinstalls.

In Freenode IRC help you will find.
                  #justarchmasterracethings

Comment

For some people it seems to mean the world to them that they can claim to run Arch Linux when using Antergos, Manjaro & Co. That's pretty sad on a personal level. There is nothing more important?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      For some people it seems to mean the world to them that they can claim to run Arch Linux when using Antergos, Manjaro & Co. That's pretty sad on a personal level. There is nothing more important?
                      Most of them wouldn't care if it wasn't for the Arch purists telling them they're inferior. I see why Manjaro might not qualify, but this notion that something like Antergos isn't Arch Linux and disqualifies one from Arch community forum support is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                      X