Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyson OS Is Trying To Pair Debian With The Illumos Kernel

Phoronix: Dyson OS Is Trying To Pair Debian With The Illumos Kernel

Not to be confused with the Dyson vacuum cleaners, Dyson OS is an attempt at becoming a general purpose operating system based on Debian while using the Solaris-derived Illumos kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Dyson OS Is Trying To Pair Debian With The Illumos Kernel

Not to be confused with the Dyson vacuum cleaners, Dyson OS is an attempt at becoming a general purpose operating system based on Debian while using the Solaris-derived Illumos kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg1NTY
    They forgot to add an item to their TODO list:
    • Port systemd to the Illumos kernel to support future Debian userland.

Grabs the popcorn...

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      They forgot to add an item to their TODO list:
      • Port systemd to the Illumos kernel to support future Debian userland.

Grabs the popcorn...
      You mean future Debian GNU/Linux userland, Debian Hurd and GNU/kFreeBSD doesn't use systemd of course, this Dyson probably use SMF init system like other solarises

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        You mean future Debian GNU/Linux userland, Debian Hurd and GNU/kFreeBSD doesn't use systemd of course, this Dyson probably use SMF init system like other solarises
        Except how some upstream projects may begin to depend on Linux-only systemd interfaces--future Gnome, for instance. I don't think the problem with systemd ever had to do with it's service launch and management system but what everything else it does and how it impacts things when upstream developers decide to rely on it for their projects.

Granted, I don't see this alternative kernel project going very far because I think Oracle employees were by in large driving low-level kernel, driver, and just overall infrustructure development. Now that Solaris is closed-source again and Oracle is no longer funding them to work on it, I don't see much improvements coming nearly fast from a much smaller team of likely less experienced developers.

Comment

Why not just use Open Indiana?

Comment

Now that Solaris is closed-source again and Oracle is no longer funding them to work on it, I don't see much improvements coming nearly fast from a much smaller team of likely less experienced developers.
            Yeah, but Dyson is not developers it is developer - so, one men effort

And probably it has no future as Debian port right from the start, because of GPL incompatible CDDL license

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              Why not just use Open Indiana?
              Yeah, if RMS 30 years ago said: why not just use Windows? Linus will probably git-catch the fishes somewhere in North Sea these days .

Comment

Except how some upstream projects may begin to depend on Linux-only systemd interfaces--future Gnome, for instance.
                I guess you are referring to the usage of logind.

Even if we rule out that any other service will ever implement the logind interface, there is no reason to believe that GNOME would not support an alternative if one exists.

After all they did support ConsoleKit before it became unmaintained.

Cheers,
                _

Comment

Granted, I don't see this alternative kernel project going very far because I think Oracle employees were by in large driving low-level kernel, driver, and just overall infrustructure development. Now that Solaris is closed-source again and Oracle is no longer funding them to work on it, I don't see much improvements coming nearly fast from a much smaller team of likely less experienced developers.
                  The illumos kernel actually has quite a few companies behind its development, and many of the initial Solaris developers are working at those companies, so it's surprisingly active.

Comment

Lol why that name?

Is that to prove how strong it sucks? Ahaha.

Comment

Working...
                    X