Latest Radeon Graphics Results On Ubuntu 14.10 Are A Bit Concerning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Radeon Graphics Results On Ubuntu 14.10 Are A Bit Concerning

Phoronix: Latest Radeon Graphics Results On Ubuntu 14.10 Are A Bit Concerning

Earlier this week I posted some Ubuntu 12.04 LTS vs. 14.04 LTS vs. 14.10 benchmarks that focused on the overall system performance aside from the graphics. In this article are the OpenGL results for the three releases of Ubuntu Linux for the Radeon (R600g) Gallium3D driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Michael: Can your test-suite automatically bisect the bad commit?

Comment

I guess I won't play much GPUTest then...

(Some real game benchmarks would be welcome.)

Comment

Hm, nothing changed much for me on radeonsi, might be something on r600 driver Only diff i remember which made some difference in fps rate and is just slightly slower for me, but with less stutter... because of this fix which came partly in 3.18 partly in 3.19 kernels:

So that is to make things less stutter and max fps rate usualy should suffer a little
        Last edited by dungeon; 05 December 2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Yeah and second thing, i don't see that combination here which behave differently on 3.16 and 3.17 kernels would be this mesa revert:

Which is also stuttering fix, that too might degrade fps rate here and there depending on kernel used
          Last edited by dungeon; 05 December 2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            So that is to make things less stutter and max fps rate usualy should suffer a little
            (...)
            Which is also stuttering fix, that too might degrade fps rate here and there depending on kernel used
            I think this is the best features of the FOSS drivers
            that this kind of anti-benchmark features get priority over useless high FPS rates.

Closed source drivers maybe would just make a app profile and then all benchmarks are useless because they are all biased because of the app profile cheating tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
              I think this is the best features of the FOSS drivers
              that this kind of anti-benchmark features get priority over useless high FPS rates.

Closed source drivers maybe would just make a app profile and then all benchmarks are useless because they are all biased because of the app profile cheating tricks.
              Normally I'd agree but unfortunately the open source drivers are still, in some cases, considerably behind catalyst, and the linux catalyst is pretty far behind the windows catalyst. So frame rate drops are in fact a problem. For me personally, as long as I get 60FPS, I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                in some cases, considerably behind catalyst, and the linux catalyst is pretty far behind the windows catalyst.
                You has to Compare the OpenGL Implementation and in this case the Windows one is not really faster but no one cares because there is a other default api.

Comment

This matches my own results

I had to roll back Mesa to 10.4 after getting real-world framerates in Scorched3d cut in half plus a freeze on loading tank skins in mesa 10.5. As in my separate post on this subject, the freeze bug (may or may not be connected to performance regression) gave no text in terminal when the game was launched from the command line. Also generated no errors in dmesg. Two hardware combinations gave the same results: AMD FX8120/Radeon HD6750 and AMD Phenom II x4/Radeon HG 5570.

Framerates in the OpenGL 2D game Criticalmass dropped a little under light load and a lot when there were many sprites on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Normally I'd agree but unfortunately the open source drivers are still, in some cases, considerably behind catalyst, and the linux catalyst is pretty far behind the windows catalyst. So frame rate drops are in fact a problem. For me personally, as long as I get 60FPS, I'm happy.
                    ?? what you said just don't fit to what I wrote...
                    I never said that the radeon is faster than the catalyst.
                    Also I never said that the radeon does not need more speed.

so you disagree to the point that bugfixes,tearingfixes,stuttering fixes are good to have even if we lost some fps?

what is the alternative to this? a shit-load of crap with enormous high FPS rate?

Comment

Working...
                    X