Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Michael, since you've got both HD4850 and HD4870, could you also mention in the tests if the cards suspend/hibernate/resume nicely, using the proprietary drivers and the open source ones?

Since all the cards released at the moment are the same (only the branding differs), that information would prove really useful!

Thanks a lot.
    Hi,

Suspend/Resume is dependent on a lot of different factors, only a few of them are related to the graphics driver. Different kernel versions, different patch-sets, different suspend scripts all make it nearly impossible to say that suspend/resume works in all cases.

That said, our standard testing (which occurs on RHEL and SuSE), does test S3 and S4 on most hardware.

Regards,

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mtippett View Post
    Hi,

Suspend/Resume is dependent on a lot of different factors, only a few of them are related to the graphics driver. Different kernel versions, different patch-sets, different suspend scripts all make it nearly impossible to say that suspend/resume works in all cases.

That said, our standard testing (which occurs on RHEL and SuSE), does test S3 and S4 on most hardware.

Regards,

Matthew
    True, but if the machine he's using suspends and resumes nicely already, changing the graphic card with the model he wants to test (an HD4850 or 4870 here) wouldn't it give a fair indication about the card itself?

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    True, but if the machine he's using suspends and resumes nicely already, changing the graphic card with the model he wants to test (an HD4850 or 4870 here) wouldn't it give a fair indication about the card itself?
    Yes, that is true, but in general, the suspend/resume issues are triggered not by the Hardware, but by the SW ecosystem described above.

Also note that some of the suspend hacks (like reposting cards, etc) will may work on some cards and not. But as I mentioned before, they are mainly hacks that should generally be avoided.

Regards,

Matthew

Default Feature parity?

Feature parity? Does that mean that fglrx finally supports screen rotation?

Hi
    I am trying to patch and build the Open source ATI driver for my new 4850 card, as per Michael's instructions. When run the command

patch -p0 < ~/rv770-id.patch

this is the output
    can't find file to patch at input line 4
    Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |diff -Naur xf86-video-ati.orig/src/ati_pciids_gen.h xf86-video-ati/src/ati_pciids_gen.h
    |--- xf86-video-ati.orig/src/ati_pciids_gen.h 2008-06-19 14:36:59.000000000 -0400
    |+++ xf86-video-ati/src/ati_pciids_gen.h 2008-06-19 14:38:40.000000000 -0400
    --------------------------
    File to patch:

I got the git code from

git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati

The patch file is on my home dir, the code is also at the same level (in the xf86-video-ati folder)

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Leo.

Leo:

What's your current directory when running the command? It should be one directory lower than xf86-video-ati. Otherwise just type the relative path to those files.

Usually you use -p1.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Usually you use -p1.
    I think that worked. Here are the steps that I followed

sudo apt-get install build-essential git-core configure-debian automake autoconf xorg-dev libtool

git-clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati

cd xf86-video ati
    patch -p1 < ~/rv770-id.patch
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/
    make
    sudo make install
    make clean

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

find the device section. In the line "Driver" substitute "ati" for whatever is there now....i.e., vesa or fglrx

However, when I made changes to XORG file and rebooted, the screen turned white and I had to reboot and come into Recovery mode to reset the xorg.conf file.
    One thing I noticed is that after I reset the file, I can now use full 1280 X 1024 resolution. However, ATI catalyst control center still doesnt recognize the card or start. Can someone share how to find if the patch worked? and also send the Xorg.conf file contents?

Thanks
    Leo

Try removing the file or using

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

for some language selections. For standard xservers you don't need much in there.

Quote Originally Posted by mtippett View Post
    Yes, that is true, but in general, the suspend/resume issues are triggered not by the Hardware, but by the SW ecosystem described above.

Also note that some of the suspend hacks (like reposting cards, etc) will may work on some cards and not. But as I mentioned before, they are mainly hacks that should generally be avoided.
    One reason people using Linux tend to prefer Intel's IGP is because the suspend/resume works in most (all?) distributions without having to hack it in yourself. Oter IGP and dedicated hw can often resume, but to a blank screen or a messed up one. Having similar success as Intel's IGP would be an important feature to know before purchasing the hardware

Edit: and I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, since Intel's IGP will never do more than 2D in Linux, while ATI's open source drivers should offer 2D, 3D, possibly hw video decode and a perfect suspend/hibernate experience in the future. It's just that getting updated about suspend/resume advances can be as important as updates on 3D or hw video decode.
    Last edited by miles; 07-01-2008 at 06:51 AM.