Thread: ATI Crossfire & Linux, will it work? Is it useful?

Default ATI Crossfire & Linux, will it work? Is it useful?

I am thinking of adding another ATI crossfire card to my rig to beef up performance. Will it work? What can I expect? Will the performance increase? I run Linux exclusively so I won't be using corssfire in Windows.

Which card do you have?

But no, there is no Crossfire support *yet*. But with Crossfire getting more and more popular, the Windows driver getting more and more Crossfire features, especially for OpenGL and the fglrx adopting more and more (I just love those words) new features, I would guess that it is coming really, really soon...

I have the Sapphire 3850 HD. I though this line in the video section of xorg.conf was for crossfire:

Code:
    #Option     "EnableMulticard"    	# [<bool>]
    Anyone knows what it's for?

You know, TexturedXrender is not official either, but it's already avaible for testing

Option "EnablePPLIB" also could be quite interesting...

aniruddha, if you missed it, CrossFire is coming to Linux: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12495

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    aniruddha, if you missed it, CrossFire is coming to Linux: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12495
    Thank for the link! Al in all I suspect I can better upgrade to a new (EAH 3870 X2) card instead of running in Crossfire mode.

Actually, aniruddha, to properly use that card you need crossfire support. The second chip on the card is actually connected to the first via a crossfire link, so presently, owners of any ____ X2 card are only using the first chip.

Also I need to remind everyone that 3870X2 was released as a Windows-only product since we did not have Crossfire support on Linux at the time, and since without Crossfire support there is no benefit to the X2 over a single 3870.

Please do not go out and buy the 3870X2 expecting Linux support.

Why do not enable it as single 3870 which was possbile with 8-3 after some hack?