Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD-Forked Bitrig Finally Sees Its Initial Release

Phoronix: OpenBSD-Forked Bitrig Finally Sees Its Initial Release

Back in 2012 OpenBSD got forked as Bitrig and as of this week the initial release is finally available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNU binutils linker
    If they're using LLVM/Clang then I'd expect them to be using LLVM/Clang's own LLD instead.

Comment

Seems like the developers would be better off contributing to FreeBSD rather than forking OpenBSD.

FreeBSD already has alot of the stuff on their agenda to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        Seems like the developers would be better off contributing to FreeBSD rather than forking OpenBSD.

FreeBSD already has alot of the stuff on their agenda to implement.
        Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

i'l never understand people that like to say what they think others should do

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            i'l never understand people that like to say what they think others should do
            Its called advice. There is an entire profession built around the idea. If you don't understand it, go to work and ask your boss to explain it. I am sure he has a lot of experience telling others what to do.

I have to apologize. I just got off of some slashdot based HTTP(S) rant... so little things are sounding more ridiculous than they really are right now.

Comment

At least the name of the fork is original, not like devuan ( because devian was not available ) or the soon to be fedura fork ;p

Fork you, fork me fork everything!

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                If they're using LLVM/Clang then I'd expect them to be using LLVM/Clang's own LLD instead.
                Yes, they will switch to a linker still under heavy development and not ready for prime time. Yes, that makes so much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                  Its called advice. There is an entire profession built around the idea. If you don't understand it, go to work and ask your boss to explain it. I am sure he has a lot of experience telling others what to do.

I have to apologize. I just got off of some slashdot based HTTP(S) rant... so little things are sounding more ridiculous than they really are right now.
                  trowing more people on a project won't help the project much, so it's bad advice
                  software is not your normal business

Comment

Removing the giant lock is definitely not a good idea. Otherwise, the rest of their roadmap looks ok to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X