No announcement yet.

Civilization: Beyond Earth Likely To Drop Intel/AMD Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the rendering issues occurring on both Mesa and AMD's binary blob? If so, those lazy porters should wait longer, sort things out so that they get it working PROPERLY, and then release it with support for ALL major graphics chipset vendors, which totals a WHOPPING THREE. Honestly, support for only one chipset vendor? That's embarrassing and the guy who wrote that quoted blurb should have had more of an ashamed tone rather than this cavalier way of dropping support for ATI and Intel. Good luck idiots!

Comment

Are they talking AMD OSS or AMD FGLRX ? I can't see why they would have an issue on FGLRX with any modern extension. Sure performance can be glitchy at times but that's just an optimization task.

Anyway after I have seen Witcher 2 run very good with great graphics on OSS AMD drivers and that's a wrapped game, I can't imagine a game developer having problems on Linux/AMD. Either they are lazy or stupipd.

Comment

The open source drivers should work fine, they're not that buggy and terrible as fglrx. Are they using opengl 4.x maybe, so open source is out of the question?

Comment

I think they have problem with mesa as it is both for Intel and AMD GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
            What about using Direct3D 9, present in Mesa 10.4+?
            The game is DirectX 11 or Mantle on Windows, Direct3D 9 feature in mesa will not help.

Comment

I have something really really important to say to 2K/Aspyr.

Sounds for me that they to lazy to get there code working. maybe they should stop working with the nvidia guys and dont let them write there opengl code.

Comment

OMFG. What is this? Ridiculous?
                It seems they got some "Nvidia - the way it's meant to be played" thing stuffed down their throats. People are quick to blame AMD when it comes to any rendering issues on Linux, rightfully or rather not, but which driver? Fglrx or the free stack? And why would intel also run into rendering artifacts? Maybe the game coders just wrote ugly and machine specific code? The whole thing smells and I'd recommend those folks to better check their code again. Moreover, if there is actually a problem that affects all three drivers they should file a bug report and work it out with the driver devs.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

lol bunch of n00bs here who probably can't even put a simple triangle on the screen using OpenGL accusing Apsyr (over 10 years of exp. with OpenGL) off not wanting to support all vendors. OpenGL drivers on Linux are broke as hell. Deal with it.

Comment

So they coded in NvidiaGL and not in OpenGL.
                    Nvidia is known to take garbage and do something and dont report errors.
                    It wouldnt surprise me if they dropped OS X too.

We need OpenGL Next with tighter specs so there does not exists 10 incompatible implementations and all of them compliant.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      (over 10 years of exp. with OpenGL) off not wanting to support all vendors.
                      Thats even more sad. Because they should know how to deal with such problems. If the code fails on different vendors and different implementations then it smells fishy. Why don't they talk with the Intel/Mesa guys? i doubt that they refuse to fix a bug.

Currently is more like: "Hey its only working on Nvidia so lets blame all the others"

Comment

Working...
                      X