Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 34 Brings Its Improved Search Bar, Firefox Hello

Phoronix: Firefox 34 Brings Its Improved Search Bar, Firefox Hello

Firefox 34.0 is launching today with many changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Firefox Hello is pretty cool, it is a WebRTC-powered web cam chat, kind of like Skype.
    But I feel that it should be offered as a separate extension, not as a core browser functionality.

HTTP/2 support is cool is based on Google's SPDY protocol if anyone wonders.

It also enables HTTPS for Wikipedia (English) searches from the quick search bar.

It also has console.table() so that you can print tabular data, a table. It is useful for developers to print a multidimensional array as a table.

Comment

isn't this the version that was supposed to get MSE support? Firefox is very overdue for this.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        isn't this the version that was supposed to get MSE support? Firefox is very overdue for this.
        No, mse needs more testing there's still some open bugs:

Comment

Originally posted by Sdar View Post
          No, mse needs more testing there's still some open bugs:
          https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=mse
          I ran the Nightly for a few days with all the MSE stuff turned on (including the H264 support) so that the Youtube MSE compatability page showed everything supported. This was about four weeks ago. My experience was pretty rocky - the browser locked up several times and got into strange states a number of times.

I'm looking forward to Firefox getting this all straightened out. Until then, I use Firefox for almost everything, but Chrome for Youtube.

Comment

Yeah, I too have tried enabling MSE a few weeks ago and got very unstable results.

Once MSE and the porting to GTK3 are complete, I think firefox will be a pretty solid contender against Chrome again. In terms of performance and functionality, Chrome is better. Otherwise, I think firefox is a superior browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus6 View Post
              I ran the Nightly for a few days with all the MSE stuff turned on (including the H264 support) so that the Youtube MSE compatability page showed everything supported. This was about four weeks ago. My experience was pretty rocky - the browser locked up several times and got into strange states a number of times.

I'm looking forward to Firefox getting this all straightened out. Until then, I use Firefox for almost everything, but Chrome for Youtube.
              I know, I use nightly for testing from time to time too, I've mse fully enabled (webm, mp4) and it almost plays a whole 1080p60fps video without lags... but it has problems with seeking, audio/video sync and stability sometimes.

As you can see on bugzilla there's still 40+ bugs open and a lot more already closed... so it's just a matter of time.

Comment

Hi. Today I update my 64 bit Firefox to 34 version. But I don't see any firefox hello icons or components. I try nightly version and in this hello is working fine but in latest 34 stable i haven't hello comunicator. Any others have smillar problem?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Yeah, I too have tried enabling MSE a few weeks ago and got very unstable results.

Once MSE and the porting to GTK3 are complete, I think firefox will be a pretty solid contender against Chrome again. In terms of performance and functionality, Chrome is better. Otherwise, I think firefox is a superior browser.
                  Sadly Chrome has no proper adblocking capabilities (probably because Google makes a living of advertising) and therefore never will be truly superior. Having 40% CPU usage when watching YT videos instead of 5% is completely acceptable for me. I don't even understand why people switch browsers just to have acceleration. Once there was a time when there was no acceleration at all... Old P4 computers might need it, but barely anyone uses them, and you can't even get a video card with proper acceleration support for them.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Sadly Chrome has no proper adblocking capabilities (probably because Google makes a living of advertising) and therefore never will be truly superior.
                    Well there is AdBlockPlus for Chrome for ads.

And for Privacy:
                    EFF's HTTPS-Everyehere
                    EFF's Privacy Badger

Comment

Working...
                    X