Systemd 217 Updated In Debian & Soon Making Its Way To Ubuntu 15.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
    What is this for nonsense? You never want to automount a failed disk, especially not for data recovery. All that you really showed with this post that you have no clue whar you are talking about.
    The man said that his system didn't even boot and system disk is ok , only data disk is faild. Read it again ...nonsense!

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
      The man said that his system didn't even boot and system disk is ok , only data disk is faild. Read it again ...nonsense!
      Use the "nofail" option in fstab to get the behavior you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        They were talking about the initial switch to systemd in debian, not the update to the package. And I'm sure you know how the initial switch to systemd went for arch (horrible. it went horribly)
        Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Ah, I avoided Arch like the plague at that time (mostly because it was right when I started getting into Linux and it was a scary monster), so I'm only going on 3rd party info. But 9/10 people I've seen talk about it only has horror stories. The pattern is generally "Man, I love how well systemd works with Arch now, but it was nothing but a crap-ton of breakages when they were first switching over!"
        A handful of anecdotes does not support a unqualified statements like "the systemd switch went horrible in Arch". Don't fabricate facts.

I had no problems switching to systemd on my Arch systems. Couple of config changes here and there, but nothing an Arch user is not expected to be able to handle as part of normal system maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnor View Post
          A handful of anecdotes does not support a unqualified statements like "the systemd switch went horrible in Arch". Don't fabricate facts.

I had no problems switching to systemd on my Arch systems. Couple of config changes here and there, but nothing an Arch user is not expected to be able to handle as part of normal system maintenance.
          Switching to systemd in Debian is just fine, butwe are in doubt is the multi-user desktop switching is so important nowadays when every household
          has more than one PC(including smart phones) for every members of the family.

Thit "multi-user desktop switching" is pointed by mr. Lennart Pottering as main reason of creating ConsoleKit and then systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnor View Post
            A handful of anecdotes does not support a unqualified statements like "the systemd switch went horrible in Arch".
            Yeah, I don't recall the switch to systemd in Arch to have been any kind of horror. It was a well executed transition plan from initscripts to systemd.

The /usr merge though (particularly /lib -> /usr/lib), now *that* was a bitch . Mostly for people who had custom AUR packages that replaced equivalent packages from the main repos (like infinality patches to freetype/fontconfig/cairo for better font rendering), but even otherwise there were many gotchas. Not doing everything absolutely perfectly meant needing to fix the system from a liveusb. But Arch survived even that.

Comment

Thit "multi-user desktop switching" is pointed by mr. Lennart Pottering as main reason of creating ConsoleKit and then systemd.
              Consolekit is not created by Poettering. As I understands it this sort of switching is not supported by consolkit (atleast it is creating security problems) you need logind.

also, the switch to systemd in Arch was compleatly smooth for me.

Comment

So what? Should the system boot into a possibly inconsistent state? Just wait for the emergency console or boot to the rescue target instead (add "1" or "systemd.unit=rescue.target" to the kernel command line in your bootloader). As described in the documentation by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                  Consolekit is not created by Poettering. As I understands it this sort of switching is not supported by consolkit (atleast it is creating security problems) you need logind.

also, the switch to systemd in Arch was compleatly smooth for me.
                  he didn't created it he just kill it
                  Last edited by edmon; 02 December 2014, 02:52 AM.

Comment

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/000157.html
                    Ubuntu plans to take over maintainership (more precisely Martin Pitt
                    from Canonical), to maintain it as long as they still need it, and will
                    change the name while doing so.
                    Sounds totally like killing it.
                    Want to know who really killed it? All those people that whined about consolekit being unmaintained while doing nothing to change that.

Comment

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/000157.html
                      No he didn't. He deprecated the project, and handed over all future development to a Ubuntu developer (Martin Pitt):

"Ubuntu plans to take over maintainership (more precisely Martin Pitt
                      from Canonical), to maintain it as long as they still need it, and will
                      change the name while doing so."
                      source: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/000157.html

Canonical/Ubuntu later dropped the project, and Martin Pitt made "systemd-shim" instead.

Anyone could have forked ConsoleKit and maintained that fork, but no one seemed interested for a couple of years.
                      Last edited by interested; 02 December 2014, 06:47 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X