MoH:AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoH:AA

I recently found out that Medal of Honor: Allied Assault had a native linux client. I went amazing, EA got icculus to port that game to linux?? Someone know the story behind that? Why did EA care to have their game on linux, and why the latter MoH titles dont have a linux binary.
    And, someone know about that OpenMoAA project?
    thanks

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    I recently found out that Medal of Honor: Allied Assault had a native linux client. I went amazing, EA got icculus to port that game to linux?? Someone know the story behind that? Why did EA care to have their game on linux, and why the latter MoH titles dont have a linux binary.
    I don't know why the subsequent MoH titles don't have the clients other than perhaps they didn't need Ryan for the server work in the subsequent ones and many times, one of the things he tries to do when he gets one of those deals is to talk them into doing the client.

Considering some of the recent fun and games with other titles having the publisher nix projects out of the gate (Gives Atari a nasty glance) it wouldn't surprise me if the motivations that the publisher in question seem to have may have had a bit to do with it not happening on subsequent passes. There's more to it than that, but let's just say that things like the goings on in the LGP copy protection discussion are NOT helping us any right at the moment.

And, someone know about that OpenMoAA project?
    thanks
    No, I didn't know about it.

Comment

Ah, ok, thanks. So from what youre telling me EA asked icculus to make the MoHAA linux server, and it was his idea to make the client as well, and EA agreed. Right? In any case, thats amazing, EA letting one of their titles to run natively on linux. For the latter MoH titles, they didnt emply icculus anymore then. The linux client is very good, it works for MoHAA and its expansions Spearhead and Breakthrough. And yea, i dont like the idea of having copy protection in linux games, but maybe this way bigger publishers will become more "motivated" to go the linux way, I dont know.

OpenMoHAA from what im seeing its at its early phases right now, i wonder if they will get a cease and desist from EA since they are trying to make an open port of MoHAA that will let them run the assets of the EA game.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
        OpenMoHAA from what im seeing its at its early phases right now, i wonder if they will get a cease and desist from EA since they are trying to make an open port of MoHAA that will let them run the assets of the EA game.
        So long as they aren't using code taken from EA or distributing the game files with models/maps/etc EA can't issue a cease and desist as they haven't actually infringed on any IP I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
          So long as they aren't using code taken from EA or distributing the game files with models/maps/etc EA can't issue a cease and desist as they haven't actually infringed on any IP I believe.
          The only one would be trademark- MoH and MoHAA are trademarked...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            The only one would be trademark- MoH and MoHAA are trademarked...
            Hadn't thought of that minor point, although that's easy to get around just change the name.

Comment

Yeah. I wonder if Linux folks bothered to buy MoHAA from EA because there's a linux client. Chances are, it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                Yeah. I wonder if Linux folks bothered to buy MoHAA from EA because there's a linux client. Chances are, it didn't happen.
                Honestly I didn't have a clue that there was a linux client for it else I might have gotten it... but then again it's EA...

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                  Honestly I didn't have a clue that there was a linux client for it else I might have gotten it... but then again it's EA...
                  EA probably doesn't even know it has a Linux client for that game, seriously. Hehe.

Comment

Here's something interesting courtesy of Wikipedia:

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                    * Medal of Honor - (PlayStation)
                    * Medal of Honor: Underground - (PlayStation, Game Boy Advance)
                    * Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - (Linux, Windows, Mac OS)
                    * Medal of Honor: Frontline - (Xbox, PlayStation 2, GameCube)
                    * Medal of Honor: Rising Sun - (Xbox, PlayStation 2, GameCube)
                    * Medal of Honor: Spearhead - (Linux, Windows, Mac OS)
                    * Medal of Honor: Breakthrough - (Linux, Windows, Mac OS)
                    * Medal of Honor: Infiltrator - (Game Boy Advance)
                    * Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault - (Linux, Windows, Mac OS)
                    * Medal of Honor: European Assault - (Xbox, PlayStation 2, GameCube)
                    * Medal of Honor: Heroes - (PlayStation Portable)
                    * Medal of Honor: Vanguard - (PlayStation 2, Wii)
                    * Medal of Honor: Airborne - (Linux, Windows, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Mobile)
                    * Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 - (PlayStation Portable, Wii)
                    Frankly, since Wikipedia is the most reputable of sources, all you ought to eat your words on EA. LOL

Yeah, Wikipedia is probably wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X