Devuan: Debian Without Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by interested View Post
    Sure, many systemd opponents revel in their ignorance of systemd, but what you got to realize is that systemd opponents is a tiny and ever shrinking minority that totally depends on the goodwill of upstream projects for still having any kind of non-systemd support.

By attacking Debian for their choice of init system you may tempt some of their otherwise generous developers to cut of SysVinit support as fast as possible. And since eg. "Devuan" is simply Debian with another name, using Debian packages and repos, this will have serious repercussions.

I think a more humble and grateful attitude towards Debian and its developers is in order, and certainly a much better strategy for cooperation and help than whiny, ill informed and badly argued attacks on systemd and Debian.
    Did redhat paid you?
    If systemd is the one and only init system and so on and so on, why debian without systemd is most popular linux distribution(with Mate and Ubuntu which even used Upstart).

And please understand I and as i understand most of us who didn't like systemD, just didn't like realization of one good idea!

Comment

• Originally posted by edmon View Post
      Did redhat paid you?
      Ad hominem, ahoy!

Originally posted by edmon View Post
      If systemd is the one and only init system and so on and so on, why debian without systemd is most popular linux distribution(with Mate and Ubuntu which even used Upstart).
      This question implies that the init system is the sole deciding factor when choosing a distro. Which is of course silly.

I'll give you a counter point - if systemd is so bad, then how come distros that switched to it haven't faded away? There was one or two people saying Arch will go under because systemd is not KISS and such. Arch is still around though, and based on forum activity it's as healthy as ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by edmon View Post
        Did redhat paid you?
        ROFL! Please go on painting the systemd-opponents as swivel eyed, tin foil hat loonies. Thinking that those sort of paranoid accusations are a substitute for technical arguments, is exactly the reason why systemd opponents have lost every argumentation against systemd on every major Linux distro.

Debian have had no official stable release of a Debian Linux version with systemd as default init-system yet. But with the release of Jessie, there will be a mass conversion taking place.

And please understand I and as i understand most of us who didn't like systemD, just didn't like realization of one good idea!
        Not sure what you mean there. Anyway, it doesn't matter. What you and your fellow travellers have to realize is that all major Linux distros are now dedicated to systemd. Those who doesn't want to use systemd should concentrate on helping out and making a positive contribution to those few remaining non-systemd distros. There is a major back-log of work needing to be done to run a modern non-systemd distro in the future. Attacking systemd, its developers and the distros that are using it will only lead to bad feelings.

If the entire minority of non-systemd users are seen as whining, immature trolls, upstream projects may find it tempting to cut off all SysVinit support, just to get rid of them. It is nice and easy to attack systemd and the distros using it, and making pages like "boycotsystemd", but think about it; a boycott can work both ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by oneofone View Post
          Of course, we all know the one true religion is using sysvint with 10 different alternative to logind/dbus, all hail the mighty POSIX shell God!
          this one False Dichotomy looks especially funny when read on void linux, which uses runit and ditched systemd.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpppp View Post
            this one False Dichotomy looks especially funny when read on void linux, which uses runit and ditched systemd.
            No it didn't it just defaults to runit you can run void on systemd.

Comment

Working...
            X