Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devuan: Debian Without Systemd

Phoronix: Devuan: Debian Without Systemd

Last month we wrote about a group of administrations planning to fork Debian GNU/Linux over not liking its direction due to adopting systemd over Upstart or SysVInit. The Debian administrators have made good on their word and announced the Devuan fork of Debian...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In a way this is the cyber equivalent of the Islamic State, it's a good thing, put all the backwards anti-progress asshats in one spot.

Except in Devuan's case the world doesn't need to nuke them, they will do it themselves.

Comment

I am very happy with this development, I cannot wait to try this distribution.

I keep my machines completely P?tterware free.

Comment

Originally posted by oneofone View Post
        In a way this is the cyber equivalent of the Islamic State, it's a good thing, put all the backwards anti-progress asshats in one spot.

Except in Devuan's case the world doesn't need to nuke them, they will do it themselves.
        Of course, we all need to submit to systemd, the one true religion?. That is not at all similar to being forced to submit to Salafism, another one true religion?.

Comment

Originally posted by Itzamna View Post
          Of course, we all need to submit to systemd, the one true religion?. That is not at all similar to being forced to submit to Salafism, another one true religion?.

Of course, we all know the one true religion is using sysvint with 10 different alternative to logind/dbus, all hail the mighty POSIX shell God!

Comment

Wow.
            We've gotten to the point where we fork distros instead of uninstalling packages?

Comment

Not Quite (Politically) Correct

Yes, that's right. It's called SystemD(eath).

History has proven that all modern civilizations eventually "rollover and die", such as the Romans, and the Florentines, and Saddam Hussein. So your point is?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                Yes, that's right. It's called SystemD(eath).

History has proven that all modern civilizations eventually "rollover and die", such as the Romans, and the Florentines, and Saddam Hussein. So your point is?
                not gonna feed the troll, gl/hf.

Comment

Of course, we all know the one true religion is using sysvint with 10 different alternative to logind/dbus, all hail the mighty POSIX shell God!
                  Allow me to dissect your sham argument.

First: There are no 10 alternatives to logind. There is consolekit as alternative for logind, it is stable and does its job without metastasizing to unrelated upstreams.

Second: There are no 10 alternative IPC daemons to dbus, either. You may be referring to the deprecated DCOP from KDE 3 or to the also deprecated Bonobo from Gnome <2.4. They have both been succeeded by dbus. Also, dbus has not been developed by the P?ttering cabal.

Third: I do not recall stating I am a SysVinit supporter or user (in fact, I use OpenRC). I would also be happy with something like SMF (the init system employed by Solaris) to succeed SysVinit. But systemd, with its scope creep and bad design, is not it. Additionally, its main author has a very bad track record. I need not tell you how he promised udev would never depend on systemd, or remind you of the ongoing Pulseaudio debacle.

Fourth: I do not worship the mighty POSIX shell god, or any other god for that matter.

I suggest you re-evaluate your stance on systemd, you may be blindly supporting something you do not fully understand.

Comment

Allow me to dissect your sham argument.

First: There are no 10 alternatives to logind. There is consolekit as alternative for logind, it is stable and does its job without metastasizing to unrelated upstreams.

Second: There are no 10 alternative IPC daemons to dbus, either. You may be referring to the deprecated DCOP from KDE 3 or to the also deprecated Bonobo from Gnome <2.4. They have both been succeeded by dbus. Also, dbus has not been developed by the P?ttering cabal.

Third: I do not recall stating I am a SysVinit supporter or user (in fact, I use OpenRC). I would also be happy with something like SMF (the init system employed by Solaris) to succeed SysVinit. But systemd, with its scope creep and bad design, is not it. Additionally, its main author has a very bad track record. I need not tell you how he promised udev would never depend on systemd, or remind you of the ongoing Pulseaudio debacle.

Fourth: I do not worship the mighty POSIX shell god, or any other god for that matter.

I suggest you re-evaluate your stance on systemd, I think you may be blindly supporting something you do not fully understand.

Comment

Working...
                    X