Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An instance of what the games industry has become...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An instance of what the games industry has become...

I offer for your reading, an instance of the kinds of things that go on in this industry : http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...Fall-of-Black9

What the link goes to is a personal account of what Majesco did to a small studio on an AAA, completely new franchise title. I'm pretty sure it's close enough to the truth of the matter to count. I've seen similar kinds of crap going on (including stuff from out of what Loki pulled towards the end of things...).

That has to be one of the worst stories I've heard coming out of the gaming industry and I've heard some pretty bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
      That has to be one of the worst stories I've heard coming out of the gaming industry and I've heard some pretty bad ones.
      Heh... At least you've gotten a bigger glimpse of the kinds of crap I've had the misfortune to glimpse or see fully for myself and can't discuss.

Comment

Oh, I know this. I've lived this life for a good five years of building software. Computer science is a legitimate way towards slave driving. That's the truth I have concluded from my dealings in the past. It's horrible but just to tell you, these sort of stories do not only proliferate in the game industry.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          Oh, I know this. I've lived this life for a good five years of building software.
          Heh... Only five... You'll have five times that to go to have experienced all that I have at the hands of the people in this space. There's good people, there's bad.

In the end, there's a LOT of this sort of thing going on in the Games Industry- and people just don't know, or probably care, when you get down to brass tacks.

Comment

I don't think we are in the competition of seeing who is more bitter. These kinds of crap do happen whether people give a damn or not. In any case, they probably would just continue mowing the lawn of their backyard.

Edit:
            What can I say? I walked out early. Having enough of it all.
            Last edited by niniendowarrior; 24 June 2008, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
              What can I say? I walked out early. Having enough of it all.
              Damn, sounds like me today...

Met up with my GF. Brightened my day, coupled with the actual positive energy I think I may have harnessed in the wishlist thread.

Comment

Yeah, we've had a tad bit too much of the negative vibe through out the game forum. This is definitely a nice change.

We should coax your GF to visit you more often, so you can start working.

Comment

Really? So the computer science field is that soul draining and pathetic as slave work? Damn, I think im gonna switch majors to investment banking then. Well, what i really want to do is design levels, and design new gameplay too. Mostly creative work.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    Really? So the computer science field is that soul draining and pathetic as slave work? Damn, I think im gonna switch majors to investment banking then. Well, what i really want to do is design levels, and design new gameplay too. Mostly creative work.
                    Investment banking is an extremely demanding job but the pay... Oh how I wish I could pull that sort of money in my first job after Uni. (I've know some who is getting paid close to ?40k (that's $80k...) in an investment banking placement! Crazy.)

Comment

Working...
                    X