IMP Launches As Another Open-Source Computer Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Launch open computer >>> Video full of macs.
    LELLLLL
    Reading this post I watched the video. Now I have a severe nosebleed. But the whole spot looks like ot was made by / for Apple people. A lot of only half-truths and lighty tingly bingly music, happy people smiling like crazy at the camera. People painting a computer with a pen in 10 seconds on the wall and hey, there's the design.
    Looking at things and facts, yes. Obviously they just took some tech and made a nice wrap around it. The case. Then sell it expensive. Like Apple.

Originally posted by libv View Post
    Yet another attempt to cash in, and lie to stupid crowdfunders. No serious project claiming to be open source will now ever succeed, idiots like this have ruined the name.
    I fear that, too. Lots of Trittbrettfahrer using the opportunity to make some cash to get their own fancy stuff done. Like that i7/nvidia laptop thing.
    Oh, wasn't there a nice Soutpark episode about crowdfunding?
    It is sad since that things might bring the concept of crowdfunding in discredit. And when we really need it people will think they just get fooled again.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
      ... with their version of the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Linux with the Cinnamon-based "Imp Desktop." So Cinnamon is Spyware/adaware? well the mint guys will be happy to hear that.
      I didn't say anything about Cinnamon.
      This is your assumption not mine.
      Also, I cannot make corrections on what your eyes read and your brain understands, be more careful next time.

Comment

imp doesn't look evil

Could be that i missed something, but how is this device open source? As far as i can tell, hardkernel does not do OSHW. And I, of all people, could be mistaken, but isn't the GPU driver they are using going to be a binary?

Yet another attempt to cash in, and lie to stupid crowdfunders. No serious project claiming to be open source will now ever succeed, idiots like this have ruined the name.
        I see imp a fairly honest project. They don't say that the hardware is open, neither that all the software that uses is open source. Even, if you watch the video, they didn't talk much about open source until the end. They just sell a minicomputer that uses mostly open source and plug and use as a media, streamming etc. computer. I don't see their usual boring marketing evil, don't say are creating the first or fully open computer, just bringing open software to the masses. They even make pretty clear that they don't design the electronics or write open source drivers. The odroid-u3 is just a compromise of linux support (with close drivers), features and price.They probably pay more for the odroid board than apple for the mini's. We can make a similar computer with a single board compute, and install whatever we want, but for the people that wan't to plug and use it the imp looks well.

It's much better than librem. They mean to be fully open source, but the hardware doesn't have even schematics, the nvidia isn't properly supported by noveau (will they contribute to the noveau driver?) and uses proprietary firmware. It seems that they just buy a copy design computer of mba in asia, install coreboot, and cash a premium price.

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
          There is also theoretically the open-source Lima driver for the Mali-400 that are on the U3, and according to the forums some people have gotten it to run on their boards. The official ubuntu distributions and AFAIK most other available OS images come with the ARM binary blob though. So I guess you are right that this projects will also use the binary ones.
          Guess who is behind that lima driver, Sherlock. And yes, our fully open source supporting friends did of course not contact me.

Comment

Originally posted by andresdju View Post
            I see imp a fairly honest project. They don't say that the hardware is open, neither that all the software that uses is open source. Even, if you watch the video, they didn't talk much about open source until the end. They just sell a minicomputer that uses mostly open source and plug and use as a media, streamming etc. computer. I don't see their usual boring marketing evil, don't say are creating the first or fully open computer, just bringing open software to the masses. They even make pretty clear that they don't design the electronics or write open source drivers. The odroid-u3 is just a compromise of linux support (with close drivers), features and price.They probably pay more for the odroid board than apple for the mini's. We can make a similar computer with a single board compute, and install whatever we want, but for the people that wan't to plug and use it the imp looks well.

It's much better than librem. They mean to be fully open source, but the hardware doesn't have even schematics, the nvidia isn't properly supported by noveau (will they contribute to the noveau driver?) and uses proprietary firmware. It seems that they just buy a copy design computer of mba in asia, install coreboot, and cash a premium price.
            It's yet another in a long line of enlightened thinkers who have the following brainwave:

$cheap_hw + $free_software + $crowdfunding == $mucho_dineros

It ruins the field for the very few projects which do try to make an honest open source supporting project.

Comment

And the project "leader" is Navot Volk, who, according to linkedin founded this imp company in April 2014. Here he is doing product research:

HI all,

I bought the Beaglebone Black. i want to transform it into a nice little desktop for my family.
              What is the best setup (OS, desktop, browser) for a nice internet kiosk machine (mainly browser).

Thanks Navot.

*sigh* Why are people still falling for this open source hw crowdfunding bullshit?

Comment

And the project "leader" is Navot Volk, who, according to linkedin founded this imp company in April 2014. Here he is doing product research:

HI all,

I bought the Beaglebone Black. i want to transform it into a nice little desktop for my family.
                What is the best setup (OS, desktop, browser) for a nice internet kiosk machine (mainly browser).

Thanks Navot.

*sigh* Why are people still falling for this open source hw crowdfunding bullshit?
                So?

What's the hate? Is not like he's the only one in his team...

This is a device for normal people, they even compare it with chrome boxes and Mac minis on their campaign page.

This is why Google is the only one selling half baked Linux + a browser systems and no one says a thing. Any time someone tries to sell Linux pre installed to normal consumers it just gets hate from people is not even targeted to.

Lets Let the market decide of they want this or not

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                  So?

What's the hate? Is not like he's the only one in his team...

This is a device for normal people, they even compare it with chrome boxes and Mac minis on their campaign page.

This is why Google is the only one selling half baked Linux + a browser systems and no one says a thing. Any time someone tries to sell Linux pre installed to normal consumers it just gets hate from people is not even targeted to.

Lets Let the market decide of they want this or not
                  Do you see google claiming that they sell open source hardware?

Comment

A nice concept if successful enough to drive development of a custom board.

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                    This is a nice project.

Is consumer oriented. Is similar to a chrome box, but with more features and you can install more arm compiled Linux apps if needed, but they keep it simple with short cuts to popular web apps.
                    I'd honestly like to see this project be used as a jump start to a more fully realized ARM based computer. Nice as it is Odroid is hardly a good example of what an ARM based computer could be. That rather requires faster CPU's and more memory.
                    Even office online/ one drive which is easy to view, share or collab on docs without needing more than a browser.
                    I guess some could do that. Personally I'd rather have something powerful enough to run Eclipse well while a web browser is open. That can only be done with more RAM these days.
                    Also all the streaming and wireless accessories are nice add-ons. Hope they make it
                    It is an interesting attempt. Adding a box doesn't add a lot of value but I hope people realize that pay a lot for a cheap box might give this company a chance. Ideally that chance would lead to a more robust board in the box.

I'd be tempted to buy one if it wasn't for my Mac going on the fritz after many years of use. Being without a decent computer is like being naked in a snow storm, you wonder how long you will last.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                      Probably the case that makes it expensive? I have an Odroid, even here in Europe it was about 70 E for the base kit. I still did not have time for it, also because they have this tiny tiny power connector and it will take some time to get that soldered to a PSU in a safe way. But then why crowdfund something that just puts a nice case around this Odroid computer? If there isn't more I don't really see a point. They could sell that right away, without prior crowdfunding.
                      Obviously you have never been involved in a business start up on a shoestring. Many business fail in the beginning due to the lack of capital. Consider some possible costs: A steel die to manufacture the plastics case could set you back anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000. If needed secondary operations tooling will cost even though that is harder to estimate. Actual assembly would require setting up an assembly line of some sort, any success and you would need better hardware than a simple series of work benches. You would need to source a power supply probably with a special order connector. Then you have to be able to get product to the customer. On top of that you need to address all legal respinsibilities.

It often surprises me how people think that it is so simple to setup a business and be profitable. It isn't at all. Depending upon the state and industry it might cost you $10,000 in legal and filling fees to get off the ground with all legal responsibilities covered. This includes insurance to cover your business and expenses for employees they never see. Honestly Kickstarter and the like are possibly one of the best things to happen to startups in some time. They can literally make it possible to get past the first couple of years where so many business fail.

Reading about the history of Apple computer and other startups ought to confirm in your mind how difficult business can be.

Comment

Working...
                      X