Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    The biggest problem with Crossover Games and Cedega is that you're showing that people are willing to emulate Windows to play games- which translates into whatever numbers Transgaming and CodeWeavers have respectively for their products being votes for Windows, because it's not sales numbers for native versions. They don't apply as much common sense as the bulk of the forum posters here apply. (Think in terms of how the PHB from Dilbert works and thinks and you'd be a lot closer... )
    You are right, of course... All this does is show that people are willing to do that, but on the other hand, wouldn't they pay at least as much as they do for these emulation products for native versions of the same games? I'm amazed no one has actually asked themselves this question (or maybe they have, but have not been convinced). I think many gamers would.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      You are right, of course... All this does is show that people are willing to do that, but on the other hand, wouldn't they pay at least as much as they do for these emulation products for native versions of the same games? I'm amazed no one has actually asked themselves this question (or maybe they have, but have not been convinced). I think many gamers would.
      I'm not so sure. I know several people on IRC who use Wine/Cedega, but for games that don't run well using them, they will reboot into "Game-Loader OS" to run them. So even hard-core linux people will buy Windows games, because they can be run on either platform, try running a native Linux game on windows...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
        Secondly distributing the actual game has quite a large up front cost (print dvd's etc for physical media or setting up servers and distribution method for download media)
        )
        Setting up servers and distributing via bittorrent is a very real and low cost alternative for distribution. With online authenitcation there is no pressing need for pressed boxed media.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
          Sure they would but you have to remember those solutions are not limited to running 1 title. Say if a person ran 4 games with Crossover Games the additional cost of running that title under linux is $5 per title.

So if a windows game sold for $50, the actual cost of running it under that solution would be $55 and they can grab the game @ their local vender.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Setting up servers and distributing via bittorrent is a very real and low cost alternative for distribution. With online authenitcation there is no pressing need for pressed boxed media.
            Wrong answer, really.

Depending on what you're trying to sell, the customer base COULD be reachable via that route- they may not be. How many people were bitching in the forums that they had cash, but no Credit Card (Heh, I can relate- an 11 year long bad marriage can do nasty things to your credit...and this doesn't even get into the sub-18-year old crowd either...), and this puts a serious crimp on online distribution.

You do still need meatspace distribution and packaging for things- games at least as many of them are either impulse buys or things like kids buying things.

Comment

Wrong answer, really.

Depending on what you're trying to sell, the customer base COULD be reachable via that route- they may not be. How many people were bitching in the forums that they had cash, but no Credit Card (Heh, I can relate- an 11 year long bad marriage can do nasty things to your credit...and this doesn't even get into the sub-18-year old crowd either...), and this puts a serious crimp on online distribution.

You do still need meatspace distribution and packaging for things- games at least as many of them are either impulse buys or things like kids buying things.

And they order your boxed games how? This is the day and age of Paypal. No credit card needed and they get the game within hours instead of weeks. Waiting weeks for delivery is not a impulse buy.

Comment

Sure they would but you have to remember those solutions are not limited to running 1 title. Say if a person ran 4 games with Crossover Games the additional cost of running that title under linux is $5 per title.
                Which is where the "vote for Windows" explanation goes into play. One Cedega purchase translates into dozens of potential titles being ran with that one $20 purchase from either player in the WINE space. Now, having said this, for all the people claiming it's 'great', it's not all a bed of roses by any stretch of the imagination- most of the space is bronze or silver rated (using the WINE rating system ratings...) at best, even WITH Cedega and Crossover Games.

So, if people are willing to spend $20 on a poor substitute, why bother making a native title? Why bother with the RISK of arranging the rights out to have it fail to sell and "lose" all that money that could be invested elsewhere?

So if a windows game sold for $50, the actual cost of running it under that solution would be $55 and they can grab the game @ their local vender.
                Ding!

Hey, guys... This is a bit off the topic... I DID ask someone to try to keep to it on this thread- if we want to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of the whole concept of WINE running games, we probably ought to take it to a new thread...

Comment

And they order your boxed games how? This is the day and age of Paypal. No credit card needed and they get the game within hours instead of weeks. Waiting weeks for delivery is not a impulse buy.
                  Paypal only works if you've got a bank account...

As for shipping, etc... Ideally, he was striving for brick and mortar sales- furthermore, most of the players do NOT understand e-delivery, nor do they LICENSE a title more often than not for it. You've got to understand that each method of delivering it is a differing means of publication- and you may not be able to even DO it that way because the rights holder doesn't want you doing it that way.

To bring this back on topic...

I do thank you for bringing up Falcon4- any other suggestions? Right now the snail-mail I sent off seems to have went into a black-hole and I intend on re-sending something to Lead Pursuit here in another couple of days.

Comment

Paypal only works if you've got a bank account...
                    AFAIR you don't need a bank account to use Paypal. Having no bank account registered with the service would limit your options (no withdrawal), but it would work neverthless.

What's strange - I've met many people on the net (mainly US), that actually use paypal as a checking account. Pretty crazy given paypal reputation

Comment

Good point, I hadn't consider the use of BT as a distribution method (although you'd still need some form of ftp server as some people can't use torrents due to serious throttling by their ISP etc.)

Comment

Working...
                      X