Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure it is but chances are you can't get the one without Wine compatibility to allow you to port it. Most of the times these are 0-day games and as we know quite a number of developers are rather hostile towards linux porting.

Comment

• There is also a flipside way of thinking regarding wine. Native clients are nice and all but getting many developers to do separate ports and adding to their workload is not as efficient or as profitable as having to code one version of a game and letting the platforms worry about giving a solution to make that game that uses a standard api work with their system. Sure it may not be as elegent as a native client but from the developers point of view it is the most profitable.

Let's face it Kronos shit the bed with keeping openGL up to date in a timely manner and to date there is not one "full package" that is available on linux or any other OS like the DirectX api provides. The industry went with the leader and without a clear advantage over the DX alternatives it will stay that way.
      Last edited by deanjo; 04 April 2009, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• How many games work with Wine that are interesting? A very small number of games works on Wine. In my case for example it's just one: Deus-Ex ( not counting the games with a native client ) and all others do not work with Wine. And even DX has problems and doesn't run 100% well. Nope, wine is not a solution. But I agree with you upon the burden on the developers concerning multiple versions. This is why the problem has to be solved on the game engine level and not on the game developer level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          How many games work with Wine that are interesting? A very small number of games works on Wine. In my case for example it's just one: Deus-Ex ( not counting the games with a native client ) and all others do not work with Wine. And even DX has problems and doesn't run 100% well. Nope, wine is not a solution. But I agree with you upon the burden on the developers concerning multiple versions. This is why the problem has to be solved on the game engine level and not on the game developer level.
          Well what is interesting to you is not necessarily interesting to others. NWN2, Left4Dead, EA Sports games, the CnC franchise, etc are all games that I like and work in wine. Hell even dosbox allows me to play Redneck Rampage

Comment

• Now I'd like to know how an EA Sports game runs in Wine with you. This is one of the no-goes for me.

Comment

Now I'd like to know how an EA Sports game runs in Wine with you. This is one of the no-goes for me.
              Really depends on the game, Madden, Tiger Woods and NBA and MVP Baseball I all have had successfully going with wine without anything other then a no-cd crack needed. The NHL series has been a no-go for a while now though. That being said EA's games are usually pretty easy to get going (NFS have always been pretty easy). Sometime's a patch and reg file is needed but as a rule they tend to be the easier ones to get working nicely in wine (or cedega or crossover)
              Last edited by deanjo; 04 April 2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Ah, there we have it. I'm on the NHL side of life so then it makes sense since I never got any of those working no matter what I did.

Comment

Ah, there we have it. I'm on the NHL side of life so then it makes sense since I never got any of those working no matter what I did.
                  Ya not sure what makes it so special. Last version that worked I think was 2005.

Comment

• Valve and Blizzard games tend to run very well in wine (I'll finish the Half life story even if it kills me!)

Comment

• Hm... strange. HL2 doesn't work here, or rather, it works but the HUD is messed up. The gun is like 1 unit in front so you see the chopped off arm model and triangles race across the screen depending on where you look at.

Comment

Working...
                      X