Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
    You are that deluded?
    Deluded as in zillion people dropped Linux or the opposite? I'm really struggling with Poe's Law here.

Comment

Originally posted by somini View Post
      Deluded as in zillion people dropped Linux or the opposite? I'm really struggling with Poe's Law here.
      Zillions? You said zero people. That is nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by somini View Post
        About 0 people did that, but you wouldn't notice by the comment sections.

I'm just waiting with popcorn in hand, should be any second now. Brace yourselves.
        A lot of users and few developers left because of systemd. FreeBSD alot of free press and users because of systemd and I know there are many who switched to Gentoo and Slackware as well.

Comment

I'm a systemd fan who converted from FreeBSD. Does that even us out?

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
            When I moved my sid install to systemd, I didn't have any issues like that. Only issue was needing to tell it not to fail on boot if it couldn't mount non-critical filesystems. I think it was already on v215 by the time I moved though.
            Might be safer to bail out on graphical target if non-critical mounts fail and failover to multiuser. That way you get something reasonably sane to fix your system with and no obscure login failures from DM or crashes from DE

Comment

I am not so worried about "systemd" on FreeBSD because I am quite sure the developers will do a great job (and they are looking at xml / plist files rather than binary shite)

But... there are so many things FreeBSD should probably be working on before even thinking about replacing /etc/rc. Correct suspend / resume for one. The /etc/rc replacement seems to be for workstations and laptops to speed up boot times whereas a suspend / resume could pretty much remove that need anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                Zillions? You said zero people. That is nonsense.
                It's closer to reality, bar statistical insignificances.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  I am not so worried about "systemd" on FreeBSD because I am quite sure the developers will do a great job (and they are looking at xml / plist files rather than binary shite).
                  The only place where systemd uses binary files is the journal, i.e. log files. (Configuration is stored in .ini-like files, which are much easier to read (as a human) and to parse (as a computer) than either xml or plist.). Saving log files in xml or plist is probably the worst possible solution: They are not really human-readable, you can't really use simple command-line tools like grep or tail, and new content isn't just appended to the end, meaning corruption is possible. So they share all the disadvantages of systemd's binary log files. On the other hand, they don't have any of the journal's advantages, e.g. indexes. Thus, "advanced" operations (like those near the end of http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/journalctl.html) are either horribly slow or just impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    two pages and noone cried that freebsd forgot unix way ? wtf
                    What is unix way? I'm on Solaris 11 and it's using smf for service satrtup and I think Solaris is Unix :-)

Comment

BSD

The *BSDs might not have much of a choice but to implement something similar to systemd inorder to remain compatible with any upstream FOSS, such as future Gnome releases that begins to depend on it to function. Systemd isn't bad and Archlinux has a very stable implementation of it. The outcry from it has been mostly because of its undefined scope, far beyond the service initialization and management of an init system.

Anyway, the takeaway I get from this webcast is that FreeBSD wants to focus less on x86 PCs and more on mobile devices like tablets, smartphones, and embedded devices. I would have hoped that they were planning to improve FreeBSD on the PC desktop but that doesn't appear to be in their long-term agenda because it appears that most FreeBSD developers would rather use Macs and OS X as their desktop of choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X