No announcement yet.

Gngr: A New Web Browser Focused On Privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does sound useful for certain, very specific types of browsing. The real solution for the Javascript and Cookies problem is proper handling and sandboxing of those elements, not their total exclusion.

Comment

More competitors

Though I think Java + custom HTML engine will be the downfall of this one. Dillo also wrote a custom HTML engine, and well... It took them a long time to get to the current point.

Comment

JS is a blight and its worst than flash. It should never existed. Its just useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
          I would like to go a step further and deny any connections to domains that I am not currently on
          The RequestPolicy addon for Firefox does that (yes I know you?re using Chromium.)

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            Sometimes it astounds me that these people are clever enough to write a browser, but too dumb to realise that this is a worthless endeavour.
            they didn't write it yet. so they can be dumb on both occasions

Comment

Create a browser with privacy in mind... a fair enough endeavour I suppose.

... but rather than taking an open-source rendering engine/scripting engine and saving 95%+ of the work they're writing a custom HTML interpreter, rendering engine and scripting engine?

They could basically get the same result in a couple of hours by re-packaging one of the existing browsers with more privacy-oriented defaults and a couple of addons.

On the javascript front, a simplistic solution should be disabling cross-domain javascript but with the nonsense hype surrounding CDNs that won't work any more.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                Sometimes it astounds me that these people are clever enough to write a browser, but too dumb to realise that this is a worthless endeavour. Reconciling these facts is quite the exercise in double-think.
                If it works for them, it's fine. Gngr does not have to work for us.

Comment

What kills me the most are people who don't trust cookies, but have no issues using the browser's built-in "remember my password" feature, which just saves your password somewhere on your hard drive.

If you use the "remember my password" feature that the web designers built using cookies, it's almost certainly going to be more secure, since they can save an authentication token on your computer instead of saving your actual password.

Comment

So, instead of simply using complex engines that already exist (things that even support tweaking), let's make a whole new thing... even links2 has a GUI.
                    Reminds me of this pic:

s/standards/browsers/g :P

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
                      What kills me the most are people who don't trust cookies, but have no issues using the browser's built-in "remember my password" feature, which just saves your password somewhere on your hard drive.

If you use the "remember my password" feature that the web designers built using cookies, it's almost certainly going to be more secure, since they can save an authentication token on your computer instead of saving your actual password.
                      The passwords are encrypted if you use a master password on Firefox. Other browsers may integrate with the system's key store which is secure too and requires unlocking.

Comment

Working...
                      X