Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which gfx card with 3D acceleration to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which gfx card with 3D acceleration to buy?

Hi. I didn't find a forum for gfx cards in general, so hope there is not only ATI fans reading this one

I'm going to build a computer and I want a good gfx card where 3D accel is working in Linux. (will use the PC for some games in Windows so therefore a good gfx) In my old machine I upgraded from Radeon 7500 to x1650 Pro, but actually it was a downgrade. Everything is more problematic. Watching DVDs are lagging and pixelated. Google earth is extremely slow with the x1650 and the closed source drivers are not working (fglrx gives black screen and system lockup).

So which is better choice NVIDIA or ATI? My mind was set on a 8800 GT or 9800 GT, but as I see that ATI is now supporting Linux I'm wondering about a Radeon HD 4850. Which cards will give me 3D? Not necessarily today, but sometime before end of the year...

EDIT: Of course now I saw that there is a gfx card forum and that I'm in the xorg forum. Sorry!
    Last edited by oblidor; 24 June 2008, 06:45 AM.

Well as Nvidia disabled some features in the 8800 GTS 512 maybe get 9800 GTX(+). The G92 chip is really fast, surely faster than 4850.

Comment

No. And it (RV770) will only get faster with every driver update. Even if it *was* slower, it is cheaper.

Comment

I did not say that the 9800 is cheaper, it is just a much better buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Well as Nvidia disabled some features in the 8800 GTS 512 maybe get 9800 GTX(+). The G92 chip is really fast, surely faster than 4850.
          I see. So 9800 has 3D in linux?

Comment

I was talking about "The G92 chip is really fast, surely faster than 4850.", not about the driver or anything else. You know, let's wait for tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by oblidor View Post
              I see. So 9800 has 3D in linux?
              Yes it does, all the Nvidia cards do.

Comment

Originally posted by oblidor View Post
                Hi. I didn't find a forum for gfx cards in general, so hope there is not only ATI fans reading this one

I'm going to build a computer and I want a good gfx card where 3D accel is working in Linux. (will use the PC for some games in Windows so therefore a good gfx) In my old machine I upgraded from Radeon 7500 to x1650 Pro, but actually it was a downgrade. Everything is more problematic. Watching DVDs are lagging and pixelated. Google earth is extremely slow with the x1650 and the closed source drivers are not working (fglrx gives black screen and system lockup).

So which is better choice NVIDIA or ATI? My mind was set on a 8800 GT or 9800 GT, but as I see that ATI is now supporting Linux I'm wondering about a Radeon HD 4850. Which cards will give me 3D? Not necessarily today, but sometime before end of the year...

EDIT: Of course now I saw that there is a gfx card forum and that I'm in the xorg forum. Sorry!
                I read your post, and it appears that the issue can be resolved by answering a few questions, and providing a little bit of information about the computer...
                1. Which Linux Distribution are you using.
                2. what driver version are you using, and how did you install it.
                3. what is the general system spec ( like is the video card AGP or PCI express )
                4. can you provide a copy of the xorg config file and xorg log file.
                5. Does the system log file specify that a soft lockup occured?

Note: i believe it'd be better to first try to fix the issue of the system lockups and crashes first, before looking at buying a new parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
                  I read your post, and it appears that the issue can be resolved by answering a few questions, and providing a little bit of information about the computer...
                  1. Which Linux Distribution are you using.
                  2. what driver version are you using, and how did you install it.
                  3. what is the general system spec ( like is the video card AGP or PCI express )
                  4. can you provide a copy of the xorg config file and xorg log file.
                  5. Does the system log file specify that a soft lockup occured?

Note: i believe it'd be better to first try to fix the issue of the system lockups and crashes first, before looking at buying a new parts.
                  1. Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian unstable (switched to Ubuntu just two days ago. Used Debian for 10 years)
                  2. Radeonhd after trying fglrx. fglrx I tried from debian package and ATI package in Debian. In ubuntu I tried restricted fglrx pacakge. No luck
                  3. AGP card (8x) Asus A7V8X-X mobo, 1.7Gb Ram, Corsair 650W PSU (temporarily will go to a new computer), AMD Athlon XP 2400+, LG 1440x900 LCD (is the widescreen a sore point for the driver?)
                  4. xorg.conf I have tried to change from empty to more advanced, but I can try again with fglrx and send it. I used the aticonfig tool. xorg log files I cannot because when fglrx crashes teh system nothing gets written to the log files. It really crashes the machie I have to hit reset button
                  5. I'll check but I dont think anything gets written to system log either.

Not buying new part for the old computer. I'll put back the Radeon 7500 if all fails. I'll build a completely new computer because I need more CPU power. But I want to keep my old as a second computer. Currently I have a 166MHz (from 1994!!!) as 2nd computer running debian with wmii and vim. Very nice for not getting distracted by bells and whistles

Comment

If you are running with an X1650 AGP you may be happiest with the -ati (aka radeon) driver today, assuming that you feel up to building the entire stack - the x driver (-ati), drm, mesa and x server. Ubuntu 8.04 is pretty new but not quite new enough to get full 5xx open source support.

I imagine you were using the -ati driver with the 7500 ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X