No announcement yet.

VirtualBox 4.3.20 Arrives, Still No Sign Of VirtualBox 4.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Besides advanced features, I like VB for its cross-platform support. I usually create my test VMs on my gaming rig (under windows), and then transfer it on my server (OpenMediaVault with VB plugin). Just have to update the network settings, and it goes well.

The crappy, proprietary guest additions are a mess though...

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      For those wondering:

- it still needs a proprietary compiler in order for the BIOS to be built (OpenWatcom),
      - it still recommends proprietary guest additions and extensions, coming in binary-only form.

They don't seem to work towards fixing these.
      OpenWatcom is open-source, and recommending things isn't really an issue, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
        OpenWatcom is open-source, and recommending things isn't really an issue, is it?
        Free as in freedom copyleft licenses don't force you to release the source, you're only required to redistribute the corresponding source code only if you decide to redistribute the binaries. The OpenWatcom otoh forces you to release the source code regardless of weather you choose to redistribute the program or not. Yes it's open source, but this requirement means it's not free as in freedom

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I'd like to get into qemu but I always felt it was really "sloppy" to get into. Hundreds of settings are optional, and you get lost in the ones you actually need. Then something performs like crap and you don't know where to look to make it work better. QEMU has a lot of potential, and it's interesting since it is a complete emulator (unlike VB which is just a VM), but I don't have the patience for it. I'm fine with command lines or config files but sometimes you need a good GUI to help point you in the right direction without spending hours on research. GUIs (for configuration) are potentially slower to use but they ensure the job is done right.

If virtualbox had more dedicated attention and GPU passthrough support, I think it would be a lot more popular. I like how VB just "gets to the point", and its advanced options are very easy to configure.

I'm using virt-manager as a front-end for qemu (through libvirt) and it Just Works for me, just as easily as VB.

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
            Free as in freedom copyleft licenses don't force you to release the source, you're only required to redistribute the corresponding source code only if you decide to redistribute the binaries. The OpenWatcom otoh forces you to release the source code regardless of weather you choose to redistribute the program or not. Yes it's open source, but this requirement means it's not free as in freedom
            So by telling nobody you have the very same....

Comment

"Linux 3.18 arrives. Still no sign of Linux 5.34"

Comment

This article is really written in a stupid way.

Anyways despite bullshit virtualbox just works out of the box 99.9% of the times and is perfectly cross platform

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
                  Iow same as AGPL?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Iow same as AGPL?
                    I was thinking the same when I read his post.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      Iow same as AGPL?
                      No.

The AGPL requires you to give the recipients the source code under the AGPL when you distribute the program, but also when recipients access it over a network, which can be considered distributing.

The OpenWatcom license requires you give source code to its authors even if you don't distribute it in any way. This fails the ?desert island? test.

Comment

Working...
                      X