X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aticonfig tvout confusion

Ok so I ran:
    Code:
    aticonfig --enable-monitor=tv --tvf NTSC-M --tvs VIDEO --resolution=640x480 --hsync=30-50 --vrefresh=60
    and then 
    aticonfig --enable-monitor=tv --tvf NTSC-M --tvs VIDEO --resolution=tv,640x480 --hsync=30-50 --vrefresh=60
    both commands enabled my tv well enough but it looked a lot like 1024x768*, and this error message spat out
    Code:
    Error: Section # expected
    aticonfig: parsing the command-line failed.
    I believe that's about not specifying the screen for the resolution option, but when I run this:
    Code:
    aticonfig --enable-monitor=tv --tvf NTSC-M --tvs VIDEO --resolution=[b]0[/b],640x480 --hsync=30-50 --vrefresh=60
    I just get an error about no screen 0 found:
    Code:
    error at set screen resolution : screen0 does not exist
    I also get this same message trying to use example command 3 from --help (aticonfig --resolution=0,1600x1200,1280x1024,1024x768) while my monitor is the active display. I thought maybe it was because I didn't have "Screen 0" and "Screen 1" in my xorg.conf Sreen and Layout sections, but I tried adding them and got the same behaviour.

* When I run this command to re-enable my monitor, while only the TV is enabled, I'm dropped into 1024x768 and I get that same message from above about screen 0 not existing:
    Code:
    aticonfig --enable-monitor=crt1 --resolution=0,1600x1200
    Obviously I'm overlooking something, how do I properly get my TV into 640x480, and my monitor back into 1600x1200 when I'm done with my TV? If I setup my ServerLayout with 2 X Screens instead (in clone mode I suppose... *sigh*), is there a reliable way to avoid tearing video on TV?

edit: that old post was just no good.

edit: the answer(I think) finally dawned on me last night while I was drifting off to sleep - Screen 1 and 2, as displayed in CCCLE, are the Screens to use for the resolution option. I should have figured that out long before feeling the need to post about it... :0

edit: There's no hardware info here! Sapphire HD3870 w/ 2 DVI and 1 svideo out. My monitor is connected to the first DVI port and I'm using the svideo connection also.

I think I was wrong about the --resolution option, at least for the TV. I tried
    Code:
    aticonfig --enable-monitor=tv --tvf NTSC-M --tvs VIDEO --mode2=640x480 --hsync=30-50 --vrefresh=60
    and I think that put the TV into 640x480, but it still says: "Error: Section # expected | aticonfig: parsing the command-line failed."

And to get the monitor back I've now tried what I believe is actually the correct way, only it doesn't appear to do what I think it does:
    Code:
    aticonfig --enable-monitor=crt1 --resolution=1,1600x1200
    So now I start to think that the --resolution option is only for adding modes to xorg.conf(?), but then I get another nonexistant screen error and I'm back to having absolutely no idea:
    Code:
    error at set screen resolution : screen1 does not exist
    Is that command actually supposed to put screen 1 into 1600x1200? Should I be looking at randr or something instead? If my monitor isn't screen 0 or 1, then what is it? And finally, when my tv was actually at 640x480 (I think), there was a virtual size of 1024x768(the resolution my monitor was at before I enabled my TV). Trying to run mplayer at fullscreen meant 1024-x768 and not 640x480 - how does one actually watch a video on one's TV with fglrx?
    Last edited by oblivious_maximus; 24 June 2008, 05:58 PM.
Working...
X