Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess Mozilla are just giving up

Comment

I left Firefox around v3.5.x in 2011 due to the memory issues and switched to Chrome, but in the last year I have since come back to Firefox. It's scary how much data Google retains when you can see it all in one place via Google data management. I still prefer Google as my default search, but so long as it's a simple config option that can be synced with Firefox Sync... I don't really care what they change it to.

Comment

That's... really... odd... Was there some sort of falling-out with Google? Do they no longer want to pay Firefox? Did Yahoo offer a lot more money? Because otherwise it doesn't make sense. The only reasonable choice otherwise would have been DuckDuckGo.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          Yahoo still exists? Should be good for finding all those old Geocities sites...
          here you go http://www.reocities.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
            Most distributions will (probably) leave google option on (defaults can be set via ./configure option).
            you need a permission from mozilla to distribute modified binaries with official branding (FF icon, ...)
            I wouldn't be surprised if the conditions included keeping the defaults.

Comment

Originally posted by orome View Post
              you need a permission from mozilla to distribute modified binaries with official branding (FF icon, ...)
              I wouldn't be surprised if the conditions included keeping the defaults.
              The conditions don't include keeping the defaults, indeed many distributions change the home page and the search engine to something else. (And anyway the default search engine isn't part of the binary, it's in a preference file)

Comment

Yahoo is suddenly flush with cash from the Alibaba IPO. They probably outbid Google, and are ready to get back into search big-time. Should be interesting. Might be good for us consumers, as Yahoo actually still probably has enough resident brainpower to make a real assault on Google.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  Yahoo still exists? Should be good for finding all those old Geocities sites...
                  That was my reaction, too. I mean, sure, I know they're still there... but I don't think I've seen there home page in ten, maybe fifteen years. This is a pretty weird call...

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    Yahoo is suddenly flush with cash from the Alibaba IPO. They probably outbid Google, and are ready to get back into search big-time. Should be interesting. Might be good for us consumers, as Yahoo actually still probably has enough resident brainpower to make a real assault on Google.
                    That yahoo search is not just earlier yahoo, but yahoo-bing combined... some sites explained it right

Mayer’s “New Deal” is set to get underway in December and has been inked for five years. No financial terms were disclosed, although revenue sharing is almost certainly involved.

Effectively, the Yahoo! deal with Mozilla will actually benefit Microsoft (MSFT) as well, as YHOO has adopted Microsoft’s Bing search engine to underpin its own search functions.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      That yahoo search is not just earlier yahoo, but yahoo-bing combined... some sites explained it right
                      Then why are Yahoo and Bing still separate options? Is there a difference?

And why keep the Yahoo name to begin with... They could have come up with a new brand name to avoid their previous reputation. Say, "YaBing by Yahoo".

Comment

Working...
                      X