No announcement yet.

LGP Introduces Linux Game Copy Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This have a problem, I bought the X2 game yesterday, downloaded it, installed it today an now the server of linuxgamepublishing.com is down, so i cannot start the game because the LGP Security System Manager can't verify my key. So this system makes your licence dependant on the status of the lgp server. I expect this don't happens frecuently.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: LGP Introduces Linux Game Copy Protection

For seven years Linux Game Publishing has been selling their Linux-ported games with no form of copy protection on their CD/DVDs, but beginning with their forthcoming port of Sacred: Gold that will be changed. Linux Game Publishing has developed their own Internet-based game copy protection system for Linux, and in this article we have more details on this scheme as well as their motives behind this work.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12526

Comment

• Originally posted by Scot_Bernard View Post
      This have a problem, I bought the X2 game yesterday, downloaded it, installed it today an now the server of linuxgamepublishing.com is down, so i cannot start the game because the LGP Security System Manager can't verify my key. So this system makes your licence dependant on the status of the lgp server. I expect this don't happens frecuently.
      But my copy of X2 doesn't have this copy protection...
      :-/

Comment

• Originally posted by Scot_Bernard View Post
        This have a problem, I bought the X2 game yesterday, downloaded it, installed it today an now the server of linuxgamepublishing.com is down, so i cannot start the game because the LGP Security System Manager can't verify my key. So this system makes your licence dependant on the status of the lgp server. I expect this don't happens frecuently.
        Hi,
        the game doesn't require the LGP server to be online, though it may take 10-20 seconds longer to start up because the connections need to time out.

If you rented the game however, it probably will not work. In which case you may contact the store you rented it from, and I'm sure they will be happy to extend your period to make up for any inconvenience caused by this.

That said, the hosting provider for our servers took it down for "maintainance" without bothering to notify us about it, so we're not too happy with that to say the least.

Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers,
        Eskild Hustvedt (Zero_Dogg)
        Community manager, Linux Game Publishing
        eskild at linuxgamepublishing dot com

Comment

• As a quick update, we're going to credit all rentals with an additional week once we have the server back up.

Cheers,

Comment

• Ok, good to know the reason why it's happening. Tank you for responding. I rented the game at tuxgames.com for a month this Thursday so that's why it requires the connection to validate the key every time I start the game.

Tuxgames is also offline so I cannot report anything to them, but anyway no problem now that I know you are working on restoring the server, good luck with that, so I and others will be able to continue playing those great games.

Originally posted by Zero_Dogg View Post
            As a quick update, we're going to credit all rentals with an additional week once we have the server back up.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
            X