LGP Introduces Linux Game Copy Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROFLMAO!!!

That is one of the funniest things I ever read!

Comment

• I don't understand why people are so excited about STEAM, and say that it's great.

I tried STEAM for a couple of weeks and could never get connected. Needless to say I didn't buy any STEAM game because of that.

Comment

• It's nothing I like neither... and especially nothing I want to have on Linux in one way or the other but without it you can't play source mods. So much for choice isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          ...but without it [STEAM] you can't play source mods. So much for choice isn't it?
          Well... I stopped playing those games altogether... that's the only choice I have. I know people that play CS a lot, but I am not that much into it, if at all.

There still are a lot of good games that you can play "on a deserted island".

Comment

• Unfortunately one of my most liked most ( PoA ) works only with steam. That said the mod is hibernating currently and I don't think the community version is going to be non-steam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              Unfortunately one of my most liked most ( PoA ) works only with steam. That said the mod is hibernating currently and I don't think the community version is going to be non-steam.
              I understand what you mean. Luckily for me, steam NEVER worked, so there were way too many obstacles to get me "involved" in that.

My problem is Rome Total War (TBS-game) that only runs with Windows (not WINE).

Well, I guess we all have something to complain about.

Comment

• I find it contradictory that some people dont like DRM but they "tolerate" steam, when steam is nothing but a pretty good looking DRM executable, with net capabilities. Securom can't phone home, steam can.

Comment

• Windows does already phone home... most windows games do phone home... steam phones home... where's the difference? As long as the game is not running under Linux ( and certain people do not do something blasphemical as a linux copy protection with phone-home sticker on the box ) there's not much way around it except plugging the RJ45 cable... which you need for multiplay unfortunately.

Comment

• I once bought a dictionary (on CD) from a store. I had it sealed in the case for a few years, then my dad decided he wanted it installed.

So i install it and it says I have to go to a website, give the key on the CD and get a key to finish the installation. Alternatively there was a phone number (in a different country).

The site did not exists, and the number was "unassigned". I ended up looking for a crack to use the software I bought. Since this was not a popular piece of software, there was no crack.

Now I have a $20 dictionary CD that performs the awesome task of collecting dust!

The only problem I see with DRM is situations as above.

If for some reason the internet fails, or the company goes poof... the rightfully paid software becomes useless.

Also, there are many STEAM users that are extremely frustrated because they can't play the games they bought.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alecz View Post
                      If for some reason the internet fails, or the company goes poof... the rightfully paid software becomes useless.
                      I will state, for the record, that I will hold Michael Simms to his word and I will provide the disarm patch if he fails to do so for any titles I have done work on for him that there is the DRM in place on.

Now, having said this, I can't fault your position- what if I got ran over by the proverbial beer truck?

Also, there are many STEAM users that are extremely frustrated because they can't play the games they bought.

http://wp.uberdose.com/2004/08/13/steam-sucks/
                      Heh... Somehow, I'm not at all surprised. However, you've got a substantive batch of the AAA players thinking that they need DRM to "protect their IP" from "pirates". In many cases, it's the same people that comprise the RIAA member companies. Planting your feet works after a fashion, but unless you adamantly refuse (like I do with Windows titles in general...there's extremely few exceptions, largely playtesting a potential new title or verification of content on a port...) you're not doing any good.

That means:

No Steam.
                      No World of Warcraft.
                      No Doom III.
                      No Quake IV.
                      No Unreal Tournament.
                      No Penny Arcade Adventures.
                      No Postal 2 (Yeah...).
                      No...

You get the idea.

I'm not telling you to NOT hold that position. Just don't do things that make you a hypocrite over it.

Comment

Working...
                      X