FreeBSD Receives A Million Dollar Donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    It's probably fair to say this is generally true for publicly traded companies (at least that's what management tends to get measured & rewarded on), but not so true for companies run by founders. You tend to get more of a "change the world" or "provide a valuable service" motivation in founder-managed companies.
    This ^, the problem with publicly traded companies is that the founders often don't keep a majority share of the shares, and as a result they lose control of their companies up to the hive mind that is driven purely by profit at the expense of the customer and the company itself. Which is part of why I'm against the whole idea of the stock market to begin with, it provides no real benefit to the company, only to leeches who want to suck money out of the company and it creates eldritch horrors out of companies

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
      Should've researched before posting this. For the guy that donated one million that's a drop in the bucket compared to the $19 billion he and his associates made from selling whatsapp.
      I have indeed researched and I knew he was behind whatsapp, this is why I wrote " I dunno if that generous man doesn't know how to spend his money or it's pure thankfulness"
      Originally posted by BSDude View Post
      I'm not even gonna start on the topic of systemd but your observation is ludicrous.
      It's ludicrous because i wanted it to be ludicrous

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
        No it's not. Humans have utility functions, but these are not only driven by personal wealth (there are literally millions of studies that cover that).
        Companies utility functions are only driven by wealth by design (although what can differ is the weighting of future wealth).
        The love of money is the root of all evil. Pink Floyd got it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
          The love of money is the root of all evil. Pink Floyd got it wrong.
          I think you mean the love of things. Before money it was women and food and other things.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            I think you mean the love of things. Before money it was women and food and other things.
            Thanks for coming to my Bible study.

The Greek word translated as the phrase "love is money" is philargyria, which is "avarice" in English, which means "extreme greed for wealth or material gain." Money is just a representation of wealth, so I think your definition is reasonable.

Comment

Working...
            X