Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screen corruption: 8.6 and System Monitor (Ubuntu)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Performance has got slower with each release glxgears was around 18000
    now down to 15000-16000. Also nexius slows down some times, I mean it's hardly cutting edge. I can play crysis fine in windows 1600x1200 with a few shadows on medium the rest high, but on linux it struggles with nexius

Comment

i managed to fix this corruption, while still maintaining the ability to play videos using the Xvideo extension, please look at my device section to fix your own desktop...
      Code:
      Section "Device"
      	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
      	Driver      "fglrx"
      	# enable XVideo out.
      	Option	    "VideoOverlay" "on"
      	Option	    "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
      	# Textured 2D was on.
      	# Turned off due to bugs with rendering the gnome system monitor.
      	Option	    "Textured2D" "off"
      	# Textured X renderer has default of on.
      	# Turned off due to bugs with rendering the gnome system monitor.
      	Option	    "TexturedXrender" "off"
      EndSection
      and on a quick note, on 8.6 this does not fix the issues with wine, however most everything else works fine... i tested it on a Radeon X1900GT.

Comment

Why would Textured2D and TexturedXRender default to "on"? The developers who participate here are pretty adamant that those features are still experimental and are disabled by default.

Could be an "oops" in the 8.6 release?

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
          Why would Textured2D and TexturedXRender default to "on"? The developers who participate here are pretty adamant that those features are still experimental and are disabled by default.

Could be an "oops" in the 8.6 release?
          that's a good question... however as i stated before the system monitor exhibits the bugs only when one disables compiz fusion... and by setting those settings i mentioned before to off it fixes it, in my experience, while not breaking the XVideo support.

Comment

What card are you using?

TexturedVideo is necessary for Xv acceleration on the R5xx and higher.

It should be set by default though... I assume you're using an older chipset, due to your use of VideoOverlay? You shouldn't need to specify it in xorg.conf though, if that's the case. The driver is set up to properly use VideoOverlay or TexturedVideo as appropriate depending on the chipset.

I'm just trying to eliminate possible secondary variables.

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
              What card are you using?

TexturedVideo is necessary for Xv acceleration on the R5xx and higher.

It should be set by default though... I assume you're using an older chipset, due to your use of VideoOverlay? You shouldn't need to specify it in xorg.conf though, if that's the case. The driver is set up to properly use VideoOverlay or TexturedVideo as appropriate depending on the chipset.

I'm just trying to eliminate possible secondary variables.
              ok... as to help reduce the secondary variables, here is the most important details...

Ubuntu 8.04 ( with all the latest patches )
              FGLRX 8.6 ( currently in use, most problems fixed by the above mentioned bug, except for the issues related to Wine.)
              FGLRX 8.5 ( not using, but was unusable for 1600x1200 resolution. )
              FGLRX 8.4 ( end regressions here, only bugs related to dual monitors really. )
              AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+ ( manchester core )
              Epox EP9NAJ+ Ultra
              1024mb Corsair valueselect memory (DDR400, PC 3200)
              CMedia based Auzentech sound card.
              Radeon X1900GT (R580 core )

Comment

Working...
              X