Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screen corruption: 8.6 and System Monitor (Ubuntu)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This install of the driver has never had any manual settings whatsoever. I cleaned out xorg.conf down to just the driver declaration prior to uninstalling 8.5 or installing 8.6. I have not manually set TexturedXRender since 8.2 or 8.3 I think.

Is uninstalling the fglrx packages using Synaptic not sufficient to actually uninstall everything? I would have thought that a fresh install of the driver would write an entirely new, fresh amdpcsdb.

Comment

the bug did not exist in 8.4 driver, however it's worthy to note that it only seems to appear when one disables compiz fusion.

Comment

Ok, I tried the scorched earth approach.

I uninstalled 8.6.

I deleted the amdpcsdb manually, leaving /etc/ati totally empty.

I cleaned out *everything* in xorg.conf that was related to the display.

I then reinstalled 8.6 from the packages created by the script, and ran aticonfig --initial.

After reboot, same behavior.

Bridgman, mtippett, are you out there? Let me know if this is a known issue. No big deal if so, but let me know.

Comment

I have the same problem. I have never uninstalled the old driver, just installed the new one and have had no problems. The drivers are also getting slower with each release. A slow speed for more stability is ok but slow speed but more unstable thats a joke.

I can't play any form of video with 8.6 and get a lot of screen corruption going from full to window mode.

8.5 works fine but hangs on log out.

Will hold off buying hd4870 till this is sorted out.

Comment

Porter, thanks for doing that. Seems like the issue is probably not a rogue setting. Will go back and read your original problem again

seanbarman, when you say "slower" can you give a bit more info please ? What degree of slowdown are you seeing and on what kind of operations ?
            Test signature

Comment

I have this issue, the problem of course stems from having compiz fusion disabled on 8.5 and 8.6... currently 8.4 does not exhibit this issue.

Comment

screensaver freeze with ati linux driver 8.6

Hello!

After install of the new ati linux driver 8.6 the opengl screensaver have a freeze after 10 min. I dont know how to fix that. I have tried to change the screensaver, but it does not work. Any idea? I use Ubuntu 8.04 and compiz fusion version 0.76, all packages are up to date.

The problem with screen flickers in opengl applications is solved with the new driver 8.6, but now there is the freeze of the screensaver, wich is opengl.

With the ati linux driver 8.5 and 8.4 the was not the problem with the freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshi7791 View Post
                  Hello!

After install of the new ati linux driver 8.6 the opengl screensaver have a freeze after 10 min. I dont know how to fix that. I have tried to change the screensaver, but it does not work. Any idea? I use Ubuntu 8.04 and compiz fusion version 0.76, all packages are up to date.

The problem with screen flickers in opengl applications is solved with the new driver 8.6, but now there is the freeze of the screensaver, wich is opengl.

With the ati linux driver 8.5 and 8.4 the was not the problem with the freeze.
                  I have tried to deactivate compiz fusion, but then there is the same problem with the freeze. I think, it is not a problem of compiz fusion, but i hope, that it is solved with driver 8.7 ...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Porter, thanks for doing that. Seems like the issue is probably not a rogue setting. Will go back and read your original problem again
                    Thanks Bridgman, I appreciate your help. Let me know if you need me to capture any logs or anything of the sort.

Comment

Interesting. I ran into another issue last night when I tried to launch a very simple 2D windows utility using Wine. The whole display went nuts, visual corruption everywhere, with the screen doubled horizontally (everything at half width and duplicated on the left and right sides of the screen). Totally unreadable due to the mosaic blocking everywhere.

I used CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to restart X and everything was fine. Started the same wine app with no problem on the second attempt. I'm running the latest Wine from their direct repo.

This screen corruption issue was different from the one I described earlier in the thread... that one was a momentary scramble in the screen buffer while System Monitor was drawing to the screen. This one was an ongoing scrambled output from the card that seemed more like a hardware-level issue.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experiencing this sort of thing?

[edit] The visual corruption I experienced looked very similar to the third image in the Cedega thrad: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10940

This is on Hardy 8.01, Catalyst 8.6, Mobility X1400, latest Wine (1.1.0 stable from WineHQ Ubuntu repo).
                      Last edited by Porter; 01 July 2008, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X