openSuse 11.0 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSuse 11.0 Review

Are there plans to give this a fair review?

In my opinion this the best linux distro released. Can you setup and turn on compiz with one dropdown? Novell has taken openSuse to the next level.

It seem this site has a bit of bias to Ubuntu, which at some point might have be understandable. But I thinks are starting to change.
    I think the 4 liner news item doesnt justify the look this release deserves.

In my opinion this the best linux distro released. Can you setup and turn on compiz with one dropdown? Novell has taken openSuse to the next level.
    They should have waited for KDE 4.1 *cough* And which distribution does need a single click for Compiz as of today?

Michael uses Ubuntu (dark side) and he has got too much to do to give every distribution a try, so that's nothing surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Michael uses Ubuntu (dark side) and he has got too much to do to give every distribution a try, so that's nothing surprising.
      Maybe it's time for more reviewers to join the phoronix bandwagon

I think that if they are going to review, waiting for 11.1 should be better (coming out in December), because pulseaudio, KDE4, and PackageKit have all been introduced and came with bugs, so hopefully 11.1 should fix most of them

Comment

What's the deal with all those thousand package managers anyway? Debian had .deb with APT for years, years, did I say they had that for years? - it is still the fastest system out there, because there is simply no delay. No dependency resolving that takes ages, no long server update checking.

Might be the reason why Michael is using the dark side based on a Debian/sid snapshot (nothing wrong with a bit of Ubuntu bashing - don't take me too serious).

Comment

My main point really is not to start a thread to deterine which distro is better. My goal would be to have Phoronix do the review for both Ubuntu and Opensuse or any other major distro for that metter and let the reader make a conclusion from the results.

I dont understand when a major distro has a major release, all that was given was a news snippet. Even a one pager with a little bit of analysis would be better than nothing.

Comment

You are Phoronix - so do a review and show it to Michael Do you remember the great Battle for Wesnoth review? It wasn't by Michael either. I am sure Michael is busy preparing Radeon HD 48x0 series reviews as we speak.

Comment

What's the deal with all those thousand package managers anyway? Debian had .deb with APT for years, years, did I say they had that for years? - it is still the fastest system out there, because there is simply no delay. No dependency resolving that takes ages, no long server update checking.

Might be the reason why Michael is using the dark side based on a Debian/sid snapshot (nothing wrong with a bit of Ubuntu bashing - don't take me too serious).
              deb isn't really faster than rpm, it's apt was faster than the other package managers, zypper is now about on par with apt, and for me in most cases it is faster
              (Not trying to start a flamewar )

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
                deb isn't really faster than rpm, it's apt was faster than the other package managers, zypper is now about on par with apt, and for me in most cases it is faster
                (Not trying to start a flamewar )
                Just wait until 11.1 when multi-threaded downloading gets introduced. And yes, since switching to lzma rpms, rpm installs just as fast.

Comment

has got too much to do to give every distribution a try, so that's nothing surprising.
                  Deanjo is correct, that is the straight up answer. I am strapped for resources and just don't have the time to test every major distribution when the focus of Phoronix is on hardware anyways.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Deanjo is correct, that is the straight up answer. I am strapped for resources and just don't have the time to test every major distribution when the focus of Phoronix is on hardware anyways.
                    Well thats unfortunate, but dont get me wrong this is site is invaluable to the unix community and there is nothing else like it.

Would you be open to 3rd party articles like was mentioned?

Comment

Working...
                    X