Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russ Allbery Resigns From The Debian TC

Phoronix: Russ Allbery Resigns From The Debian TC

There's yet another resignation from the Debian camp. This time, Russ Allbery of the Debian Technical Committee has stepped away from those duties...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Colin Watson has also resigned from the TC

Seems like an exodus...

Comment

You know things have gotten pretty bad when even Russ can't take it anymore. This is a sad day indeed. I hope the anti-systemd trolls are happy. :/

Comment

no one is happy

Originally posted by Sundance View Post
        You know things have gotten pretty bad when even Russ can't take it anymore. This is a sad day indeed. I hope the anti-systemd trolls are happy. :/
        no one is happy, wait redhat is happy

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          no one is happy, wait redhat is happy
          When you want to destroy something and you recognize that you have a chisel in-hand, what do you do? Hammer it in harder and harder of course. Just keep pushing it. A chisel divides, after all.

It doesn't seem like Upstart caused this many problems.

Comment

Even Linus doesn't hate on systemd anymore:

DebConf14: QA with Linus Torvalds: http://youtu.be/5PmHRSeA2c8

So yes is true a lot of the haters are the less technical that don't fully understand how good it will become.

Comment

Before this turns into another hatefest I'll paste this here:
              I promise you ? 18 years from now, it will not matter what init Debian chose in 2014. It will probably barely matter in 3 years. This is not key to our goals of making the world a better place. Jessie will still boot. I say that even though my system runs out of memory every few days because systemd-logind has a mysterious bug [4]. It will be fixed. I say that even though I don?t know what init system it will use, or how much choice there will be. I say that because it is simply true. We are Debian. We will make it work, one way or another.
              from http://changelog.complete.org/archiv...-too-seriously

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                So yes is true a lot of the haters are the less technical that don't fully understand how good it will become.
                please do stop saying this
                it's the only reason i post in systemd threads

i had to explain many times to systemd proponents (note no "lovers" or "fanboys") things like cgroups, process starting/tracking, IPC and such
                all i got in return was quotes from pid eins
                and many are plain wrong;
                examples "sysvinit can't start things in parallel", "systemd process monitoring is all you need for servers", "cgroups/systemd are good for security", "zero-copy this that"
                and many more (my favourite is "sysvinit can't set the XDG_DIR environment variable")

there are good things about systemd but there are also bad things about systemd
                notable bad thing about systemd is the design, and that won't ever change
                no need to call those who say it's bad "less technical" just because those who are for systemd can quote misinformation from pid eins

that is all from me (the 3 people who like to yell "you are wrong here is a quote", don't as i won't reply)

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                  please do stop saying this
                  it's the only reason i post in systemd threads

there are good things about systemd but there are also bad things about systemd
                  notable bad thing about systemd is the design, and that won't ever change
                  no need to call those who say it's bad "less technical" just because those who are for systemd can quote misinformation from pid eins

that is all from me (the 3 people who like to yell "you are wrong here is a quote", don't as i won't reply)
                  I said a lot, not all.

And a lot come from these sources:

systemd Haters Busted | LINUX Unplugged 57: http://youtu.be/UXGuxoY9i-Y

(Min 35+)

Comment

Did You Bother To Read....

Originally posted by Sundance View Post
                    ...Russ Allbery's post on the Debian mailing lists. He clearly took SystemD out of the question:

We've made two decisions recently related to systemd, both of which I
                    misjudged. By that, I don't mean the decisions themselves (my feelings on
                    that are more complicated, and I'm not going to get into that here), but
                    the way that they would be received and the ways they could be
                    interpreted. If I'd made either decision knowing that, it would be one
                    thing, but the reaction caught me by surprise in both cases, even though
                    in retrospect I should have recognized the problems.
                    What I gathered from his very long post is this is clearly spelled out in his summary:

The short summary of what follows:

* TC work and related conversations have become a large part of my work in
                    Debian. This seems conceptually wrong to me. It's also not very fun.

* Nearly every TC decision decision is now very fraught, and expressing
                    those decisions, at least in the current framework, requires more skill,
                    care, attention, and caution than I currently have mental or emotional
                    resources to do. I am not doing work that I can be proud of, which
                    means I either need to invest more resources or step down, and I don't
                    have the additional resources at this time to invest.

* It's no longer clear to me that my work on the technical committee is
                    actually helping the project as a whole. I believe that means I need to
                    either propose improvements or step down so that someone else who
                    believes in the work can pick it up, and I have not come up with any
                    convincing improvements.
                    So I guess in response to Sundance all I can say is this: "Haters gonna hate..."

So why don't we all focus on why Russ stepped down?

Turning this entire post into yet another mindless, senseless, unproductive, mud-slinging SystemD debate makes Phoronix no better than Slashdot.

Comment

Working...
                    X