No announcement yet.

Google Now Uses Clang As Their Production Compiler For Chrome Linux Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw. ArchLinux uses clang for chromium because with gcc 4.9 chromium just crashes:

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
      What to explain?

They have to use the MS compiler on Windows (I think), GCC on Linux and Clang on OS X. Now they are switching to clang because it can also produce Linux Binaries without any harm.

So why use gcc if you can use 1 compiler for 2 systems?
      i'm pretty sure you can use gcc on all 3
      btw, it is your explanation, you just made it up. it was not communicated in original mail.
      where is explanation of not upgrading gcc for 3 consecutive releases ?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        where is explanation of not upgrading gcc for 3 consecutive releases ?
        On Debian GCC 4.7 is the standard-compiler? Maybe they are using an older (but maybe supported) Debian?

Comment

On Debian GCC 4.7 is the standard-compiler? Maybe they are using an older (but maybe supported) Debian?
          according to your new attempt at explaining it, they are forbidden to use clang at all

Comment

Google's always shoving Chrome downloads down peoples' throats (like when you download Flash player), so an 8% smaller binary may be significant for them. As long as the user experience is the same, I can't fault them for switching, even if they have ulterior motives.

Originally posted by birdie
            GCC rarely miscompiles the code
            gcc 4.9 has some issues (someone listed like 4-5 programs that no longer worked correctly) I even hit one myself: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=757735

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              gcc 4.9 has some issues
              "Some" sounds too less

Even Gentoo does not use GCC 4.9 and ArchLinux uses clang on all things GCC 4.9 can't do.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Bullocks. What matters to the user is performance and performance only (stability too, but GCC rarely miscompiles the code and such errors are usually fixed in a timely manner).

Google has thousands of servers so the compiler performance is like the last thing on Earth they care about.

I smell something fishy here - like they withhold some important information about the decision but let's leave it to them.
                What did you not understand in "internally" and "pre-production"?
                Compiler performance and diagnostics do matter to developers.

The reason for the change of the production compiler are different, and explained in the source post and by users here.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  gcc 4.9 has some issues (someone listed like 4-5 programs that no longer worked correctly) I even hit one myself: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=757735
                  or maybe issue is with program which passes null pointer to memcpy

Comment

"Some" sounds too less
                    some - "at least a small amount or number of people or things"
                    too - "to a higher degree than is desirable"
                    less - "to a smaller extent; not so much"

Going by these definitions and others, I'm having trouble comprehending this. I read it as "A small amount that sounds more than less than."

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      or maybe issue is with program which passes null pointer to memcpy
                      Clang can't build something or runs slower -> Clangs fault
                      GCC can't build something or runs slower -> Applications fault

Comment

Working...
                      X