Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 23~25 Might Switch Away From Firefox

Phoronix: Fedora 23~25 Might Switch Away From Firefox

While no imminent switch is planned, Red Hat's Fedora Linux distribution in a few releases may move away from Mozilla Firefox as the default web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Fedora 23~25 Might Switch Away From Firefox

While no imminent switch is planned, Red Hat's Fedora Linux distribution in a few releases may move away from Mozilla Firefox as the default web browser...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg0MTA
    I would have thought a new web browser for a Red Hat product might be something more like "systemd-browser" or "systemd-webbrowser"

Comment

Sad

It's sad
      They must stick to Firefox

Comment

Wow, some Linux people have EXTREMELY loose definitions of "advertisements"...

Look at that horrible, disgusting "advertisement". Look at how they're throwing it in our faces. Ugh, god, it's killing me with it's ugly-ness. How will we ever be able to touch our precious Firefox again? (/s obviously)
        Let's also not forget that the "advertisement" goes away FOREVER if you've browsed enough sites/pages to get rid of all of the pre-pinned stuff (or manually pinned your own stuff).

Unless, of course, this somehow doesn't fit in with Fedora's packaging policies (which it obviously does just fine, since they're not removing it immediately in the next release...), then I say to quit being a whiny bitch.

Comment

+1

Well I already use Epiphany and I really like it (compared to the new FF), so why not?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
            I would have thought a new web browser for a Red Hat product might be something more like "systemd-browser" or "systemd-webbrowser"
            You mean WebD? Of course it can't be run without NetworkD and SystemD. To bad the web is stuck with HTML, CSS and Javascript as it only supports DocD, StyleD and ScriptD.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              Wow, some Linux people have EXTREMELY loose definitions of "advertisements"...
              +1 on your entire post!

These aren't ads, they're just pre-seeded links to certain websites. You can either click those "X"es to get rid of them, or they'll disappear by themselves as they get replaced with sites you visit.

Basically, this is such an irrational overreaction, it's kinda ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                Basically, this is such an irrational overreaction, it's kinda ridiculous.
                I see it this way too. Grown people getting overly emotional for no reason.

Comment

Moving away from Firefox because of "ads" while Firefox is still the one and only browser on Earth with decent ad-blocking capabilities, well, smells a bit. I can't help thinking about how much money Google is paying for this...

Comment

Very professional, that they really have such long plans, if they can bring epiphany to a level that is really great whatever that would mean go for it.

We are talking here only from the default browser so its not really a big deal anyway. Its not like 99% noobs use the distro like ubuntu.

With the new softwareshop and gnomesearch from Fc21 you just type super firefox enter and it starts installing it anyway. So even the noob get easy firefox.

What I dont really get is whats really the problem because they are able to remove the ads anyway, either by a modified normal firefox version, maybe start with a profile with 9 visited empty sites or something like that or a small modification, but if all not helps would it be so hard to switch to iceweasel?

I think they planed to switch before this ad-thing happened, they just didnt speak about it because its far in the future not in the next version.

I am cured from webkit or at least chroium anyway. I have somethimes 60 or 70 tabs open if I am researching stuff, the browser I use is conkeror (not konqueror), it uses the backend from firefox but has a configurable emacslike interface. Speedwise I have no problems at all, crashwise I dont have crashes at all (but ok I dont use flash).

So I am not shure if webkitbrowsers are really that much better, it depends on which benchmarks they are faster and on which they are slower. basicly the big strength of webkitbrowsers is the speed of javascript, that is what google wants for their nsa-gmail-...-cloud. I stopped using this stuff instead and switched back to firefox more or less. at least the backend

But again I dont really have a big problem with it, its only the default installation, if they would have chosen chromium, I would see it very problematic, so good that they dont do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X