No announcement yet.

Fedora 23~25 Might Switch Away From Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A useless browser for a useless distro. Sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      I didnt say that you are a noob or something, you then most likely are one of the 1% if you feel attacked I guess you use ubuntu.
      No, I don't use Ubuntu. I'm the 1% who doesn't find it appropriate when people call other people a noob based on OS choice without knowing anything about them.

Comment

I didnt say that you are a noob or something, you then most likely are one of the 1% if you feel attacked I guess you use ubuntu. And I am shure I did not hit 100% the mark, its maybe only 95 or 90 or maybe even 70-80% noobs that use ubuntu, at least they are not totaly angious that they cant install another operating system.
        What makes me as an Ubuntu user a noob?
        Just take me not to literal on that subject, its more like there are more "noobs" that use ubuntu than fedora. And you are right, its a also a think how much you are commited to free software. Ubuntu is more or less the distro you use if you want to maxout as much as possible nonfree software. it advertises non-free parts most, and thats why some people that want only a technicaly a bit better version of windows that is free as in free beer. Even the Move with amazon spyware or adware dont change that it seems.
        Ubuntu is the distro you use if you just want everything to work. Whenever I get a new machine I set up my dev tools (Java 8 JDK, Dart SDK, IDEA, Webstorm, git, sass, node, npm and similar stuff),
        I set up Firefox sync, I install Chrome and then I'm ready to go without any hassle. I do like Arch it's probably the best if you need to modify anything and there documentation is tremendous. However I don't have the time to set up a working desktop myself. Amazon is a two click disable if you want, just like the other scopes like Wikipedia, Stack Overflow, Github, Calculator, Bookmarks and a bunch of others I use every day. Most of them aren't available as providers in Gnome Shell meaning that I can't get the same smooth experience there. And even those that are avalible as extension takes more time to enable that it takes time to disable the ones I don't like in Unity.

For me it was not the spyware thing, what would be horrific if I did not switch before that already, for me it was just a pain in the ass every version it was harder to get a full current gnome version. First it was a alternative install, then it was a ppa or so, and then even with one ppa I did not get everything like a early version of boxes. At that time gnome was my main desktop (gnome-shell), so why having each version such pains, it made no sense.
        Unity is the first class DE in Ubuntu and for stuff that Unity need, modifications in Gnome packages are needed. If you want a first class experience for Gnome Shell Ubuntu isn't for you, however that doesn't make Ubuntu bad.

Then when I switched to FC19 and Archlinux (tried both) I learned what I did not had and did not miss because I did not even know about it. The 3 Major things I would miss if I switch back:
        - kernel auto-deinstall keep only last 2 current ones
        - default /tmp ramfs
        - profile-sync-manager (your browser profile in the ram)
        I have never noticed a problem with keeping the kernels and are asked to remove them when upgradeing.
        My tmp is in ram by default.

And at least for now I would start to miss systemd more and more, because at the beginning I didnt care to much, it did not matter not negative or positive, maybe a bit more possitive because systemctl enable gdm is easier to type then the ubuntu variant if there is even one that does not involve making the symlinks manual, and systemctl halt or suspend... find it very allegant that this is availibe through such easy commands. But I love the colored easy accessable journalctl and I love the service file structure, that allowes things to do that were more or less imposible to do. as example have a listening socket to the xbmc remote http port and start xbmc when something sends there a massage or alternative over port 9 over wol.
        Starting gdm with Upstart is just a matter of
        Code:
        start gdm
        Setting gdm as default is
        Code:
        dpkg-reconfigure gdm
        Halt is
        Code:
        halt
        and suspend is
        Code:
        pm-suspend
        No manual symlinks or whatever you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          A useless browser for a useless distro. Sounds about right.
          A useless comment from a useless troll.

----------------

More seriously, I love Firefox but Epiphany has such great potential.
          I think that them switching over wouldn't change Firefox's fate, but it could deeply improve Epiphany, so I think it's a good decision.

Comment

Originally posted by hourwatch View Post
            It's the only one of the big browser which cares about the freedom on internet and the privacy of the users.
            By default its sending your data to google.

Comment

Midori does not securely handle unverified TLS certificates, so it's not safe to use for HTTPS. It's not even worth considering until that's fixed.
              But… all the other browsers whine way too much, which is how the certificate authorities are having a good time with their expensive certificates.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                By default its sending your data to google.
                Would you mind explaining?

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                  Would you mind explaining?
                  First and foremost the URL bar also acts as a google search, with google search being default on Firefox as part of a big money deal. Firefox also uses "Safe Browsing" which sends data about what websites you visit to google. Geolocation is enabled by default which sends data about where you're browsing from to google.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                    First and foremost the URL bar also acts as a google search, with google search being default on Firefox as part of a big money deal. Firefox also uses "Safe Browsing" which sends data about what websites you visit to google. Geolocation is enabled by default which sends data about where you're browsing from to google.
                    Gonna take this from the top here:
                    - The search-in-url-bar feature is basically standard in browsers now. If you knew how it actually worked in Firefox, you'd know that it doesn't actually send anything to Google; it redirects you to a Google URL with your search term included.
                    - Google is the default search as part of a money deal because it's pretty much needed at this point. Nobody donates to Firefox anymore because they don't care (), thus Mozilla has to pay their employees (programmers/PR/etc) somehow.
                    - Safe Browsing sends data to Google? huh? Where the hell did you get that idea? If you're referring to point 1, then read what I said again...
                    - Geolocation is NOT enabled by default. I can't even begin to describe the amount of times sites have been forced to ask me if I want to "share my location" with it. Google (and other sites) generally just skip past that to get a "good enough" estimate based on your IP.

Now, I realize you're a troll, but I still wish you would educate yourself. It's not nice to go through life THAT stupid

(P.S. as a side note, Mozilla publicly recommends that you switch your search engine to DuckDuckGo after downloading and installing. Have a great day!)
                    Last edited by Daktyl198; 16 November 2014, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                      I don't think it matters that much. Just as IE is the premier tool for downloading a new browser on a fresh install of Windows, if I used Fedora, I'd only use it to figure out how to install Chrome (not Chromium). Google have all the data they want on me (I used Google Mail, Android, Google Play, Youtube, the whole shebang), so the 'spying' doesn't really bother me. I'm invested in the Google ecosystem. And besides the spying, Chrome is by far the most functional browser out there.

If you like Firefox, then great, I'm happy for you. But I have to question why. It runs like a dog on every system I've used it on lately, including powerful desktop machines. It's a shame because it's gone way downhill since it was the snappy young upstart forcing MS towards web standards around version 2.6.

Going to Epiphany makes sense I suppose.
                      I believe that is a major reason why Mozilla is working on Servo...to leapfrog Webkit/Blink in terms of performance while making future development much easier. Also, Firefox is now meeting or beating every browser on each javascript benchmark. It's a relatively recent development and may only apply to development builds...I'm not sure. Unfortunately, I don't think Linux desktops are tested so slowness may be a Linux only issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X