Console screensaver issue RS690M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Console screensaver issue RS690M

I have one of the above, (1002:0791f) running under slackware64-current kernel 3.14.18 with the kernel console screensaver turning the screen hard on for a screensaver :-/.

X runs on Mesa-10.2.6, Mesa-10.2.6-compat32, & xf86-video-ati-7.4.0. All recent, good stuff. No problems there except artifacst postiong in forms like this forum :-). But the box boots to runlevel 3(multiuser console mode) and THERE the "screensaver" turns the screen fairly hard on.

setterm -blank gives me a white screen
    setterm powerdown, & powersave options are ignored
    setterm -inversescreen gives me a weird inverse screen. but then, setterm -blank just makes it whiter :-o!

The box is a HP6715S with RS690/SB600, twincore turion 2Ghz, 3G ram. This all worked fine on the last system (slackware-13.37, kernel 3.2.29)

I reckon it must be a kernel thing, as X is not invoked. But I am slow to file a kernel bug, and slower still to sign up to the LKML!

Fix is upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Hmmm, I never had the keyboard unresponsiveness associated with that bug. I downloaded the git of the Linus tree yesterday, so I will build it to check (I had been working with git bisect). I can reset all that and build the new tree, and try it.

Comment

OK - Results.

I tried yesterday's linus-stable git (3.18.0-rc4) and it added the sophistication that the FIRST time it blanked, it blanked correctly. The second and subsequent times, it blanked to white. So it is not fixed. Keyboard always responds and unblanks it.

With git bisect, I got as far as
        good - 3.6.0
        bad - 3.7.0-rc5

I tried a further bisect, and that just started building 3.6.0 again.

Comment

A git bisect on the Linus-stable kernel led me back to commit f3728734ba78310525bf4a361c7787c7c6fa5d40 in kernel 3.6.0-rc5+

We can forget this here, as I have filed a kernel bug
          https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=88501

And got a boot option and a patch to try on the beast in the same afternoon - which is good service.

Comment

Working...
          X