No announcement yet.

The Switch To Systemd Will Likely Occur For Ubuntu 15.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, better AppArmor integration with systemd would definitely be useful for my server. At the moment it's finicky at best, what with AppArmor requiring a bash script to run before boot to load up all the profiles.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Cool, better AppArmor integration with systemd would definitely be useful for my server. At the moment it's finicky at best, what with AppArmor requiring a bash script to run before boot to load up all the profiles.
      Or then you could just use SELinux which most likely has a very thoroughly tested integration

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
        Kind of ironic if that stupid debian GR passes, because it will mean that debian will be forced to support upstart compatibility for every single package, even though ubuntu its self (creator of upstart) has decided already to move on to systemd already..
        Ironic is a gentle word to use in such case.
        I have a question to the team behind the last GR and its real purpose:
        how you think to manage the situation where the maintainer of the package X won't maintain all the init system of the universe at the cost of *his* free time and *his* work, instead of the work and time from who want a different init system to be supported?
        What if a lot of devs start to orphan their packages? What's happen then?
        I'm sure Ian will be able to destroy debian, let him to complete his mission under the name of "the freedom of the project's suicide".

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Or then you could just use SELinux which most likely has a very thoroughly tested integration
          A home or work station can't be used with SELinux if you don't want to live in constant pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
            A home or work station can't be used with SELinux if you don't want to live in constant pain.
            Did you read the part at all where he said he had a server?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Did you read the part at all where he said he had a server?
              Damn, missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Upstart was technically great.

Unfortunately, it was covered by a CLA (contributor license agreement) which made it not so free in spirit, and kept the community and independent developers away.

So Upstart while technically good, ended up a failure, and never reached its true potential due to being hampered by Canonical.

Had Upstart been more free, then everyone would probably have used that instead of systemd, and the efforts and resources that Canonical spent on Upstart wouldn't have been wasted.
                upstart was technically completely wrong. if it was great, nobody would bother with systemd. but it was wrong and cla prevented it from being rewritten into systemd. so systemd was made from scratch

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
                  Thanks for publishing this. It's good to know that systemd will be the default in 15.04. I'll take that to mean that users of 14.10 (like myself) probably can avoid systemd until the next upgrade.

So I have until April 2015 to find an alternative to Ubuntu. I have no plans to use systemd, so it seems that my current Ubuntu installation will be my last. Sad, as I've been a long-time Ubuntu user.

FreeBSD 10.1 was just released - I'll be looking at that. Also, I plan to give Gentoo a try. Slackware is a possibility, but it's lack of large package repository makes it a long shot. Of course, I can always hope that Debian will fork.

So, there should be life after systemd. But no doubt that systemd has made my life worse.
                  sure, you can leave computers and return to your stone axe

Comment

just use real distro with selinux support

Comment

Fedora seems to have found a pretty decent SELinux configuration. I don't even get wine or flashplayer alerts these days.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X