Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Linux people are weird.
    Why do you bother coming to Linux forums since it doesn't appear that you use Linux?
    Do you enjoy getting smug and letting others know of your superiority?
    Genuine question, not trying to flame.

Comment

great!

now we need btrfs for systemd's new Linux software/packaging vision

Comment

14.10 will be my last Ubuntu

Thanks for publishing this. It's good to know that systemd will be the default in 15.04. I'll take that to mean that users of 14.10 (like myself) probably can avoid systemd until the next upgrade.

So I have until April 2015 to find an alternative to Ubuntu. I have no plans to use systemd, so it seems that my current Ubuntu installation will be my last. Sad, as I've been a long-time Ubuntu user.

FreeBSD 10.1 was just released - I'll be looking at that. Also, I plan to give Gentoo a try. Slackware is a possibility, but it's lack of large package repository makes it a long shot. Of course, I can always hope that Debian will fork.

So, there should be life after systemd. But no doubt that systemd has made my life worse.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          Why do you bother coming to Linux forums since it doesn't appear that you use Linux?
          Do you enjoy getting smug and letting others know of your superiority?
          Genuine question, not trying to flame.
          I wasn't smug. I was just stating a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
            Thanks for publishing this. It's good to know that systemd will be the default in 15.04. I'll take that to mean that users of 14.10 (like myself) probably can avoid systemd until the next upgrade.

So I have until April 2015 to find an alternative to Ubuntu. I have no plans to use systemd, so it seems that my current Ubuntu installation will be my last. Sad, as I've been a long-time Ubuntu user.

FreeBSD 10.1 was just released - I'll be looking at that. Also, I plan to give Gentoo a try. Slackware is a possibility, but it's lack of large package repository makes it a long shot. Of course, I can always hope that Debian will fork.

So, there should be life after systemd. But no doubt that systemd has made my life worse.
            What about Manjaro with openrc? (I mention manjaro instead of arch because openrc is in their repos instead of AUR), that would be an option. But its probably true than if you dont like systemd it will become harder to find a proper distro.

Comment

Ironyness..

Kind of ironic if that stupid debian GR passes, because it will mean that debian will be forced to support upstart compatibility for every single package, even though ubuntu its self (creator of upstart) has decided already to move on to systemd already..

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                What about Manjaro with openrc? (I mention manjaro instead of arch because openrc is in their repos instead of AUR), that would be an option. But its probably true than if you dont like systemd it will become harder to find a proper distro.
                Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with Manjaro, but I'll look into it.

Void Linux is one that looks interesting. It's unique for using runit as its init system. Unfortunately, Void has a small user base. I tend to stick with distros that have a large user base and thus a large package collection. It's always annoying when some app I need can't be found in the repositories.

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
                Kind of ironic if that stupid debian GR passes, because it will mean that debian will be forced to support upstart compatibility for every single package, even though ubuntu its self (creator of upstart) has decided already to move on to systemd already..
                My understanding is that they want to maintain sysvinit, not upstart.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I wasn't smug. I was just stating a fact.
                  It's not a fact. It's a blanket statement about an extremely diverse group of people (even assuming "Linux people" simply includes those who contribute to FOSS projects and not the far larger, even more diverse group of those who use Linux).
                  Again, I ask why bother coming to such forums if not to "gloat"?

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                    I'm deeply sceptical with his vision of there being only one home subvolume. Configurations typically are not indefinitely backwards and forwards compatible so your system would break pretty fast like that

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
                      Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with Manjaro, but I'll look into it.

Void Linux is one that looks interesting. It's unique for using runit as its init system. Unfortunately, Void has a small user base. I tend to stick with distros that have a large user base and thus a large package collection. It's always annoying when some app I need can't be found in the repositories.

My understanding is that they want to maintain sysvinit, not upstart.
                      Not being really careful about wording they might end up supporting both upstart and openrc though.

Comment

Working...
                      X