Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Begins Teasing Possible New Device, Announcement Next Week

Phoronix: Jolla Begins Teasing Possible New Device, Announcement Next Week

It looks like next week there will be a new Sailfish device announcement from Jolla...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good. Let's hope they include some competent hardware in the new phone (along with less buggy drivers please!).
    What I find to be a little disappointing is that they seem to have dropped the 'Other Half' concept if the picture is any indication ...

Comment

Odd shape for a phone; could well be a tablet (rounded sides for easier grip or to pick it up more easily from a flat surface).
      And they did say "countdown to something 'big'"...

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
        Odd shape for a phone; could well be a tablet (rounded sides for easier grip or to pick it up more easily from a flat surface).
        And they did say "countdown to something 'big'"...
        Quite possible, now that you mention it ...

On the other hand, I can hardly imagine using the same UI/UX as the phone on a tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
          What I find to be a little disappointing is that they seem to have dropped the 'Other Half' concept if the picture is any indication ...
          I found the entire concept, or rather what the made out of it, of 'Other Half' very disappointing. What it boiled down to was a quite expensive way to change wallpaper and colors.
          And that despite the endless possibilities they had with that idea. There were lots and lots of ideas thrown around by (potential) customers, many of which were the quite conservative "cannot do wrong" type from a business standpoint, like an 'enhanced battery other half' or a 'better camera other half', not to speak of many that would have gotten the attention of the nerd crowd, like a (good) keyboard other half or similar. But none of that was realized. Jolla was just another lifestyle product... one that failed.

For a next product they could have gone either way... In the direction of the "flagship" marked where they have to compete with Samsung, HTC and Apple or in the direction of the nerds they pissed off by not making a worthy N900/N950 successor in the first place. And judging from the small image they are going to try it the iPhone way... and will surely fail again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorsai! View Post
            I found the entire concept, or rather what the made out of it, of 'Other Half' very disappointing. What it boiled down to was a quite expensive way to change wallpaper and colors.
            And that despite the endless possibilities they had with that idea. There were lots and lots of ideas thrown around by (potential) customers, many of which were the quite conservative "cannot do wrong" type from a business standpoint, like an 'enhanced battery other half' or a 'better camera other half', not to speak of many that would have gotten the attention of the nerd crowd, like a (good) keyboard other half or similar. But none of that was realized. Jolla was just another lifestyle product... one that failed.

For a next product they could have gone either way... In the direction of the "flagship" marked where they have to compete with Samsung, HTC and Apple or in the direction of the nerds they pissed off by not making a worthy N900/N950 successor in the first place. And judging from the small image they are going to try it the iPhone way... and will surely fail again.
            I think they tried to do a new N9 not N900 ...

Comment

Well, if you want accessories for a product, you need to make a more standard interface, not something that will make you throw away all your accessories when you change your phone 2Y later..

Comment

And that despite the endless possibilities they had with that idea. There were lots and lots of ideas thrown around by (potential) customers, many of which were the quite conservative "cannot do wrong" type from a business standpoint, like an 'enhanced battery other half' or a 'better camera other half', not to speak of many that would have gotten the attention of the nerd crowd, like a (good) keyboard other half or similar. But none of that was realized.
                I suppose you have missed the TOHKBD ? The Other Half Keyboard for your Jolla Kickstarter campaign ? Still 20 days from the end but has already more than doubled the original goal.

Comment

Teaser video does not do anything, looks like a picture

Comment

I wanted the first Jolla phone. It was too expensive for what hardware you got, so I went with a Nexus 5 and installed CyanogenMod instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X