Ubuntu For Cars? It's A Possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Happily using Gnome 3.14 on Wayland since October.
    How come? It's still kinda unusable for me, mostly because I can't turn off mouse acceleration and not a single Steam game works.

As a workstation I guess it's mature enough, but that's it.

Comment

I have Android 4.0 in my car stereo so why not? I could put Ubuntu in it if I wanted to. It's one of those OUKU stereos.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
        With a lot of bugs you may mean, and sucky XWayland support
        I can get my daily to day stuff done and only use Xwayland for apps without native backend.

Comment

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. As a Linux geek and a mobile electronics installer it's always interesting to read about new possibilities for mobile (read; car) platforms, especially when they involve Linux. It will be interesting to see what, if anything comes from this. I'm not a huge Ubuntu fan in the first place, and my only real experience with Ubuntu touch was with my 2012 nexus 7. Before they dropped support for it, it was not a good experience. Hopefully it has matured quite a bit since then.

I can't believe it has taken this long, but I am finally starting to see Android based things coming from the big players in the automotive mobile space. We have after market navigation/media type units running android and I install headrest DVD systems that feature removable Android tablets as the display all the time. Quality and functionality for what they are is pretty damn good. Not to mention the fraction of the worlds population that already knows how to use Android is huge and it is a mature and stable platform. So I can only imagine it will be a tough road for Canonical if they pursue this. If I were a car manufacturer I would choose the mature platform with a huge mobile market share and backed by a mega corp. long before considering a newcomer from a company that (lets be honest) most consumers have never heard of.

Comment

F21 has good Wayland support.
            Very stable and most apps just work (Firefox, in particular, scrolls more smoothly than it does in X... yay glamour!).
            The most obvious missing features, to me, are mouse acceleration (which is really not Wayland but libinput's fault) and native Wayland apps by default rather than everything (other than the Shell itself, obviously) wrapped in xwayland.
            I hope we get the libinput updates so we can haz mouse acceleration.
            As for the apps, one can always use env variables to make the apps native.
            Those aside, using Wayland is really nice.
            I've noticed that CPU usage is a good deal lower under Wayland when performing graphical tasks, when when the apps are wrapped.

Comment

Working...
            X