No announcement yet.

AMD's HSA Run-Time Library Is Now Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does this mean for Linux Games right now?

I need some clarification as I haven't educated myself on AMD products for quite some time,

A. What Graphics Cards series & makes will this effect?
    B. What % of the driver is Open Source
    C. What make of processor and graphics card should I be looking into buying to benefit from AMD's open sourcing these / future drivers.

I basically petitioned AMD telling them they lost out on my support of their products for 5 years (and all the customers I turned to Intel + nVidia as a IT building customer rigs) because their Linux support sucked.

D. Is it a bit presumptious to begin converting to AMD? I feel like this open source driver will mean better performance and stability, I need a new card to Game on - is it a ok time to get one or should I wait for some other event and if so which GPHX card?

Gonna need a new Mobo & CPU too all AMD cuz my 1st Gen i7 LGA 1366 is becoming "Age`d" and I like my brands to match Mobo / CPU / GPHX Card

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      I need some clarification as I haven't educated myself on AMD products for quite some time,

C. What make of processor and graphics card should I be looking into buying to benefit from AMD's open sourcing these / future drivers.

I basically petitioned AMD telling them they lost out on my support of their products for 5 years (and all the customers I turned to Intel + nVidia as a IT building customer rigs) because their Linux support sucked.

D. Is it a bit presumptious to begin converting to AMD? I feel like this open source driver will mean better performance and stability, I need a new card to Game on - is it a ok time to get one or should I wait for some other event and if so which GPHX card?

Gonna need a new Mobo & CPU too all AMD cuz my 1st Gen i7 LGA 1366 is becoming "Age`d" and I like my brands to match Mobo / CPU / GPHX Card
      A. CI and up.
      B. Now its 100% open source, git hub available.
      C. APUs - Kaveris and up.
      D. Ready Michael benchmarks. However HSA is not about gaming right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

C. What make of processor and graphics card should I be looking into buying to benefit from AMD's open sourcing these future drivers.

Your questions are even answered in this threup .
        From memory:
        A.although I see this solution more as a driver dependency, amd made it completely opensource. Read in on catalyst and hsa for future plans of amd.... Use the search functionality on this website.
        B. Amd kavari and up (r9 285 and up)
        C. See question A.

Comment

Z. I've been reading, so HSA is about combining GPU + CPU I take it thats why it only effects the AMD APUs

X. It looks like the best APU available that's Kaveri is the 12 core AMD A10-7850K

Y. So then the usefulness of the HSA and the driver at this point is Media Servers and Casual Linux Gaming (DOTA2, etc) CPU Stats - CPUBOSS

W. Does anyone know how the (AMD A10-7850K) would hold up vs a (1st Gen LGA 1366 i7 and GTX 750 Ti SC)

Comment

Thanks, I think I understand now what it is and it seems like it could be a pretty fair winner.

I'm looking at the newest AMD APU - the 12 core AMD A10-7850K Kaveri, it's just a little weird to think of using integrated graphics, but I guess it scored pretty fair on CPU Boss against my current CPU

@tmpdir - B - (r9 285 and up) What does this mean? Does it mean AMD Graphics cards outside the AMD A10 APU will benefit from this HSA driver?

Comment

AMD Cards also?

Thanks, I think I understand now what it is and it seems like it could be a pretty fair winner.

I'm looking at the newest AMD APU - the 12 core AMD A10-7850K Kaveri, it's just a little weird to think of using integrated graphics, but I guess it scored pretty fair on CPU Boss against my current CPU

@tmpdir - B - (r9 285 and up) What does this mean? Does it mean AMD Graphics cards outside the AMD A10 APU will benefit from this HSA driver? eg: these cards

Comment

Ah, very nice. Can't wait to get home today to download this code and check it out. I think this is extremely cool.

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                Your questions are even answered in this threup .
                D. Is it a bit presumptious to begin converting to AMD? I feel like this open source driver will mean better performance and stability, I need a new card to Game on - is it a ok time to get one or should I wait for some other event and if so which GPHX card?.
                My opinion is that you should wait for the next generation of cards that is said to come in Q1 2015, since they are said to have HSa support. My understanding is that currently only Kaveri APUs have HSA support. (But I could be wrong...)

Comment

So can someone explain to me what amdgpu does if there is amdkfd?
                  HSA is about memory access (hUMA) and command submission, right?
                  If that's what this driver does, what is left for amdgpu to do? Run checks on the shader code?
                  I'm really confused.

Comment

There still exist dedicated graphics hardware blocks. Commanding that hw doesn't really belong in HSA's "general computation".

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                      So can someone explain to me what amdgpu does if there is amdkfd?
                      HSA is about memory access (hUMA) and command submission, right?
                      If that's what this driver does, what is left for amdgpu to do? Run checks on the shader code?
                      I'm really confused.
                      AMDKFD is about HSA -> scheduling and executing general computational tasks on GPU or CPU

AMDGPU is about kernel driver for AMD gpus 285 and onward

So you need AMDGPU if you own 285 and want to use Mesa (and Catalyst will use it soon too!), for 2D/3D/video/audio accelerated on GPU.
                      AMDKFD is about HSA. If you want to use HSA (there isn't much software right now, but soon some will come), you need this.... AND working GPU. This GPU may be 285 for example, and then You would need Catalyst or AMDGPU+Mesa, if you have 78xx then it would be radeon+Mesa.

Treat AMDKFD as kernel part of HSA.

Comment

Working...
                      X