NVIDIA 346.16 Beta Adds VP8 Decoding, NVENC, GTK3 & Much More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Max Payne View Post
    CSGO is filled with tearing and overall the game doesn't "flow" as good as it does on windows, at least not good enough for competitive play.
    On my GTX 660, Compton gets rid of the tearing everywhere very nicely.
    Code:
    compton --vsync opengl-swc --paint-on-overlay --backend glx --glx-no-stencil
    I haven?t tried CS:GO but I doubt it would be any different.

Comment

Anyone else seeing a problem where the driver thinks you have multiple monitors when you actually don't?

My ThinkPad T520 has a GF119M (Quadro NVS 4200M) chip. I've disabled the Intel graphics in the firmware and use only the NVIDIA. The laptop has a VGA port and a Displayport, neither of which is connected to anything -- I'm using only the built-in 1920x1080 LCD panel.

When I boot with the 346 driver from the Xorg Edgers PPA, the driver thinks that a monitor is attached to the VGA port and creates an X screen 3840 pixels wide (2 x 1920). This, of course, is obviously unusable, since my LCD now displays only half the "screen." Relevant lines from Xorg.0.log:
      Code:
      (--) NVIDIA(0): Lenovo Group Limited (CRT-0) (connected)
      (--) NVIDIA(0): Lenovo Group Limited (DFP-0) (boot, connected)

(II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP-0:nvidia-auto-select,CRT-0:nvidia-auto-select"
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 3840 x 1080

(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "DFP-0:nvidia-auto-select,CRT-0:nvidia-auto-select"
      I reverted to the 343 driver, which properly detects that nothing's connected to the VGA port:
      Code:
      (--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-0
      (--) NVIDIA(0): Lenovo Group Limited (DFP-0) (boot, connected)

(II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP-0:nvidia-auto-select"
      (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1920 x 1080

(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "DFP-0:nvidia-auto-select"
      I tried forcing only the metamode for DFP-0 (the LCD panel) but that didn't work. I might have been doing that wrong, though. For now, I'm sticking with 343.

(More detail with screenshots, if you're interested)

Comment

Yes! You can use NVENC with this driver!

Guys, check this out.

See this FFmpeg build here:

This is a build of FFmpeg that supports NVIDIA's NVENC SIP block for H.264 H/W accelerated video encodes. - Brainiarc7/ffmpeg_libnvenc

And follow instructions to get it working with NVIDIA NVENC.

Comment

How can I use the VP8 hardware decode

This topic said that I can use VP8 hardware decode with VDPAU in the lastest Maxwell. Does it mean that GTX 980 is now supporting VP8 hardware decode? Any place to get started? Thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by minhluan1590 View Post
            This topic said that I can use VP8 hardware decode with VDPAU in the lastest Maxwell. Does it mean that GTX 980 is now supporting VP8 hardware decode? Any place to get started? Thanks a lot.
            Any application that supports VDPAU will have VP8 H/W acceleration enabled out of the box, you won't need to tweak anything ;-)

Relax. Install the driver and the rest is sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: NVIDIA 346.16 Beta Adds VP8 Decoding, NVENC, GTK3 & Much More

NVIDIA just introduced the 346.xx Linux graphics driver series with the introduction of the 346.16 beta driver, and it's a big freaking update! New features for users of the proprietary NVIDIA Linux graphics driver!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgzODU
              It's Q1 2015, and still no Wayland support? We know that Linux is going to rely on Wayland in the near future, so why is it taking so long? Is VP8 VDPAU support and faster compilation of drivers really more important at this time?

If support isn't available before distro's start integrating it, I guess I'll be selling my GTX670 and switching to AMD.
              Last edited by Auzy; 07 March 2015, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Auzy View Post
                It's Q1 2015, and still no Wayland support? We know that Linux is going to rely on Wayland in the near future, so why is it taking so long? Is VP8 VDPAU support and faster compilation of drivers really more important at this time?

If support isn't available before distro's start integrating it, I guess I'll be selling my GTX670 and switching to AMD.
                Actually, just saw NVIDIA's roadmap. seems like this actually really might be happening quite soon.

Comment

Working...
                X