Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft To Open-Source .NET, Bring It Officially To Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft To Open-Source .NET, Bring It Officially To Linux

While Mono has been around as an open-source, unofficial .NET implementation for years on Linux, OS X, iOS, etc, Microsoft announced today they are officially open-sourcing their .NET implementation and making it cross-platform -- Microsoft explicitly mentions Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

open sourcing the full server-side .NET stack and expanding .NET to run on the Linux
    sounds like just the server-side parts of .NET are being open sourced and the rest will remain proprietary
    no thanks anyways, even if it was fully FOSS.

Comment

No Thanks....

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

While Mono has been around as an open-source, unofficial .NET implementation for years on Linux, OS X, iOS, etc, Microsoft announced today they are officially open-sourcing their .NET implementation and making it cross-platform -- Microsoft explicitly mentions Linux support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgzNzE
      Oh bloody wonderful

That's another package to add to my "will never load on any of my Linux systems" list. If another package requires .NET as a dependency, that package will not be loaded either.

And then there are the distributions that seem to load "everything under the sun" into the OS, and this only makes that worse.

In time we might start to include most Linux distros under the term "bloatware". MS Windows already is before the hardware vendors load up the hard drives.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
        Oh bloody wonderful

That's another package to add to my "will never load on any of my Linux systems" list. If another package requires .NET as a dependency, that package will not be loaded either.

What else is on that list? Java, Python, Perl? Qt? Do you hate all the runtime environments that offer more features than glibc / STL because they are all "bloated"?

I realize disk space is very expensive today, so this seems like a very sane thing to do. C / C++ ought to be enough for anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgzNzE
          Pointless at this time unless they plan to open source and port whole framework stack including Windows Forms.

Comment

Great news!
            Say what You want, I really think .NET is a convenient and complete library.

Comment

Originally posted by Isedonde View Post
              What else is on that list? Java, Python, Perl? Qt? Do you hate all the runtime environments that offer more features than glibc / STL because they are all "bloated"?
              Remove Qt from this list and the answer will be yes for desktop applications. Python and Perl are ok for scripting.

Originally posted by Isedonde View Post
              I realize disk space is very expensive today, so this seems like a very sane thing to do. C / C++ ought to be enough for anybody.
              It is not a question of disk space. It is about RAM and CPU usage and GUI lags.

Comment

Originally posted by sajmon5544 View Post
                Great news!
                Say what You want, I really think .NET is a convenient and complete library.
                If you have access to the COMPLETE library.

Comment

did hell just froze over?

Comment

MIT license *and* a patent promise. Can you feel the winds of change?

Mono is being updated as we speak (incomplete implementations will be replaced by the end of the week). Lots of partying at Xamarin and Unity3d too!

Comment

Working...
                    X