CS:GO & TF2 Extensively Tested On The Newest Open-Source Radeon Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Which features do you think are missing on radeonSI relative to r600 ?

AFAIK the key for Hawaii is to have very latest SW since there have been a lot of improvements recently.
    To my knowledge, they're all openGL 4.x features. So come to think of it, maybe there isn't anything missing that I personally am exposed to. I guess the HDMI audio not working is the only thing that isn't working, but that might just be some configuration issue. The HDMI audio ports are listed but they don't play anything. I also, for whatever reason, have 5 HDMI audio ports listed when the GPU only has 1 HDMI port and 1 display port (it has 2 DVI ports too but they don't play audio).

Regardless, it is weird that at least one game of mine has performed dramatically worse. In case you're wondering, it's the beta of Distance. The game performed great on my old HD5750, but now the menu seems to be around 20FPS. Other games that I expected improvements and got none might just be affected by KDE somehow. After all, Michael has proven in the past that KDE has a tendency to worsen game performance.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 12 November 2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Pretty interesting results.

I just installed a R9 290 yesterday. I didn't have much time to play around with it but it's weird how, compared to my old HD 5750, some games perform much worse or didn't perform bad but didn't improve either.
      You may say which games are those that perform much worse, might be only single feature in common which make it slower in all those games

Generally for those that are the same or does not improve at all, first make sure those are not CPU bounded . Also sometimes there are game engine limitations, etc. so nearly same performance is expected regardless of card/driver used.

Anyway you can always just fill a bug about that, so someone may look at it .
      Last edited by dungeon; 12 November 2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Generally for those that are the same or does not improve at all, first make sure those are not CPU bounded . Also sometimes there are game engine limitations, etc. so nearly same performance is expected regardless of card/driver used.
        My CPU is overclocked to 4.4GHz and most of the "not-improved" games are indie games, so I would be surprised if they were CPU bound. Like I said before, I think KDE is messing with it somehow. Some of these games can play at higher detail levels and a higher frame rate, but they don't feel "smooth". Examples are Portal 2, Trine 2, and Borderlands 2 (weird they're all 2s...).

Comment

My CPU is overclocked to 4.4GHz and most of the "not-improved" games are indie games, so I would be surprised if they were CPU bound. Like I said before, I think KDE is messing with it somehow. Some of these games can play at higher detail levels and a higher frame rate, but they don't feel "smooth". Examples are Portal 2, Trine 2, and Borderlands 2 (weird they're all 2s...).
          Try disable compositing in KDE (shit-alt-f12), also if you are using a hybrid card (intel/radeon) check if you are REALLY using radeon and finally try disabling vsync.

good luck

Comment

I think the best is if you may try kernel from agd5f 3.19-wip branch, there are fixes for Borderlands not so smooth case recently See this bug for example:

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
              Try disable compositing in KDE (shit-alt-f12), also if you are using a hybrid card (intel/radeon) check if you are REALLY using radeon and finally try disabling vsync.

good luck
              Yeah, I often disable compositing for games, when I remember to; I didn't remember to last night. I am 100% sure I'm using radeon, and I usually do disable vsync. I'm going to try disabling KDE's vysnc, disable compositing, and then try playing a game (with vsync) and see how that works.

Comment

just look at 6950 go...as an owner of a VLIW 4 graphics card, this was a hugeee surpise!

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
                  just look at 6950 go...as an owner of a VLIW 4 graphics card, this was a hugeee surpise!
                  I saw that quite unexpected in a good way! .
                  Just need to get the HD 7950's performance up a bit now, that should translate well to my 7970's.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

That resolution is pretty atypical; I?d have liked to see a more usual 1920?1080 resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                      That resolution is pretty atypical; I’d have liked to see a more usual 1920?1080 resolution.
                      Yep it is really atypical, according to:

W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

Most typical resolution is 1366x768 and among steam gamers that is 1920?1080:

followed again by 1366x768 ... 2560x1600 is in 0.12% range

Might be Michael is bored with FullHD resolution

Comment

Working...
                      X