Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon x550/x700 Dri with radeon driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex, that looks very relevant to what I'm facing.
    So I guess X is detecting the right chip, though the text is wrong (should be R410) but the drm modules don't seem to think my card is supported.

Interestingly, I tried another linux before and had glxinfo report "dri yes" and glegears report great framerates but the gears weren't animating at all!

So I have to rebuild DRM or find a repository with newer debian packages?
    I already have the most up-to-date versions in the ubuntu repositories.

Comment

Are you sure you removed every left overs from fglrx? You can not use the mesa libs when fglrx is installed - as those are replaced.

Comment

Initially, when DRI wouldn't work, I tried fglrx in ubuntu once and it crashed my computer (reboot on login). I have since wiped my disk and installed windows 2000 to see how the card is recognized there. I then installed a fresh ubuntu 8.04 x86_64 on another partition. Ubuntu doesn't install proprietary drivers like fglrx by default.

In any event, I did an apt-get remove on xorg-driver-fglrx and it said it was not installed so not removed. Restricted drievr manager in ubuntu says it's not enabled. lsmod doesn't list anything related to fglrx.

If it's on there, I have no clue where it's hiding.
        So I have to conclude I'm fglrx free but that there's a bug in radeon or the card is unsupported. All indications are that it should be supported but DRI is being disabled consistently.

Comment

Inspect your system log and search for [drm] Initialized radeon if you don't see this it means that somehow you drm/radeon module is too old. If you see this, inspect Xorg.log and search for Direct rendering enabled if you don't see direct rendering enabled it should give you a reason why. If you got direct rendering enabled in Xorg log do LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo and look at top of the output it should tell you what is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
            Inspect your system log and search for [drm] Initialized radeon if you don't see this it means that somehow you drm/radeon module is too old. If you see this, inspect Xorg.log and search for Direct rendering enabled if you don't see direct rendering enabled it should give you a reason why. If you got direct rendering enabled in Xorg log do LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo and look at top of the output it should tell you what is wrong.
            dmesg | grep drm :
            41.264966] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
            Initialised drm but nothing about radeon

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i "direct rendering"
            (WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
            Also:

(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM
            [dri] Disabling DRI.

Comment

Originally posted by marq View Post
              dmesg | grep drm :

Initialised drm but nothing about radeon

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i "direct rendering"

Also:

Then obviously you don't have recent enough radeon kernel module triple check that you installed radeon compiled from git in the proper directory you need to see the line i did give.

Comment

OK, I'm using the standard versions that come with Ubuntu Hardy x86_64.
                I guess I will need to build to see if I can get DRI going.
                I found some instructions at:

I'll attempt and report back.
                Thanks a lot for all the help diagnosing this.

Comment

So I guess X is detecting the right chip, though the text is wrong (should be R410) but the drm modules don't seem to think my card is supported.
                  i think it was fixed in git yesterday.

somebody did a typo in pciids.

Comment

The guide suggests that to use the latest DRM modules I should have Xserver 1.5. My Xorg log is reporting version 1.4.0.90. I was hoping I wouldn't have to touch the other parts of Xorg. It seems like a full upgrade from xorg 7.3 to xorg 7.4 will be needed.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you need the new X server in order to get AIGLX, which you'll want for Compiz. I thought it was mesa not drm which had the X server dependency but not 100% sure.

Alex (agd5f) mentioned a while back that it should be pretty easy to patch the files which were modified to support 5xx back into an earlier version of mesa which does not require the latest X server -- I'll check next week and see if this is the case. If so, will see if we can either post instructions or an actual patch.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X