Thread: Text rendering quality depend on card/driver?

Default Text rendering quality depend on card/driver?

How much impact does the card/driver have on text rendering? I ask because I have seen two identical laptops Inspiron 6400 with Intel and ATI cards and the one with the ATI card renders text extremely well (with proprietary/open source drivers). The text is crisper as against the Intel card. I've played with all the settings of subpixel hinting.

I'm planning on buying the E6400 which I can get with either NVS 160M or X4500HD and since I mostly do development work I need excellent text rendering. I'd prefer Intel due to the open source drivers but am wondering if NVidia will do a better job. I've been through hell while ATI fixed AIGLX/Composite issues and I'm not sure if there are any problems with NVidia.

Thanks in advance!

You have to use the exact same software to compare since different distros use different rendering patches. All has to be the same, including the desktop environment.

Oh, and before I forget: you have to use the same *monitor* as well. Connect the laptops to the same monitor for checking.
    Last edited by RealNC; 06-04-2009 at 01:00 AM.

In short, both laptops are identical in every respect (hardware, distros, kernel and other patches/drivers, identical resolution).

Does a screenshot (must be lossless, like PNG) taken in one of them look better when displayed on the other? In other words, if you take a screenshot on the Intel one, does that screenshot still look "bad" when you view it on the ATI one?