Catalyst 8.6 + Cedega = graphics corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forge View Post
    Well, the Catalyst 8.6 + any Wine-product certainly qualifies. I have not yet had my 4850 plus Wine manage anything but the checkerboard of doom.
    Same here, wine seems to be the way to go if one wants reproduce the bug. By the way "checkerboard of doom" is a nice new name, i vote that its the official name for this from now on

Comment

Originally posted by brot View Post
      i vote that its the official name for this from now on
      You're on...

However, the problem would be to actually "correct" the problem rather than giving it a "cool" name

Comment

Once again. Same problem here. Could it be the case that this is an issue with hsync? Data is being rendered correctly, but the signal that is being fed to the monitor is corrupted, indicating synchronization problems.

So I suppose that the current solution is to wait for 8.7?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          maligor, is the issue with Savege 2 login screen a regression from previous driver versions ? We're always looking for "easy to reproduce" problems where there's a good chance we might see them on our systems and not have to drive to your house
          Well, if you want to see the screen corruption i could take my pc and drive to you . According to googlemaps it would be less than an hour to Starnberg, which is what the fglrx driver says:

fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.

So if this would help in any way, just answer here and i will take my pc and take a ride.

Comment

Just got bitten by the same issue, on AMD64 (Ubuntu 8.04). Just bought a new HD4850, but if I'd known the card was unusable with MythTV I'd not have bought it just yet...

Anyways, I agree with what one of the previous posters said, it appears to be an issue with horizontal sync / pixelclock. I have tried MythTV on every available resolution that my TV supports, and the checkerboard pattern varied in size accordingly:

1360x768 (max for my screen): about 10 chunks, blacks moving from upper right to lower left
            1280x768: same 10 chunks, but moving from upper left to lower right
            800x600: only about 6 chunks, moving right to left again

I have tried with some Wine games as well, and found that corruption caused by Wine games is non-recoverable. With MythTV, all I had to do was quit the app, and the screen would restore itself to normal. But with Wine (even when run in windowed mode, so no resolution changes), I had to do a ctrl-alt-backspace to get my normal screen back.

mplayer works fine for me, with both x11 and xv output. I also tried different settings for GLOverlay and VideoOverlay, but that changed nothing. Obivously, I can't test with 8.5 drivers because they don't support my card...

Comment

Originally posted by aelschuring View Post
              Just got bitten by the same issue, on AMD64 (Ubuntu 8.04). Just bought a new HD4850, but if I'd known the card was unusable with MythTV I'd not have bought it just yet...

<--snip-->
              As pointed out by someone in another thread, with Mythtv, if you use a non standard resolution, the problem is solved.

Start Mythtv with something like 'mythfrontend --geometry 1680x1049'

Comment

Cool. Must have missed that one. Indeed, telling mythtv to use 1359x768+1+0 fixes the corruption, but also makes it appear below the taskbar. But at least it's usable. Makes me curious about what the real reason for this bug is...

Curious thing: running mythfrontend in a window (using mythfrontend.real -w) causes the same corruption unless you provide the geometry workaround. So it's not (just) a full-screen issue.

Anyone else noticed screen flicker before the corruption sets in? It's almost like fglrx tries to switch to a new resolution, then decides that it can't or won't, and corrupts the screen in the process...

Comment

Originally posted by aelschuring View Post
                  Cool. Must have missed that one. Indeed, telling mythtv to use 1359x768+1+0 fixes the corruption, but also makes it appear below the taskbar.

<--snip-->
                  Check to see if your taskbar has an option 'keep below'. I use that setting with kiba-dock to get around that issue.

Comment

New instance of checkerboard of death that might help spot where the regression is :S

(still on 8.04 i386 with cats 8.6 & hd3870)

Mirc 6.32 under wine 1.1.0 runs perfectly fine
                    Upgrade to wine 1.1.1 - checkerboard :S

I think the new Richedit or gdi+ fixes enable certain functionality that trigger the checkerboard.

BTW anyone notice super sluggish performance in Aisleriot Solitaire when maximised?

Hope it helps.

Comment

In general Catalyst 8.6 seems much slower on my mobile X1200 (RX690M) based ATi graphics chip. 8.5 was a tad faster (not by much, though), and feels especially sluggish in 2D (and even AIGLX, like some effects with Compiz Fusion [rotate-cube, close-window-effect [fire], etc])

Comment

Working...
                      X