Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZedDB View Post
    THANK YOU for pointing this out!
    Blender runs without corruption in fullscreen mode. (blender -W)
    Warsow, Sauerbraten, PlanetPenguin Racer, Super Tux, Neverball all work fine for me both in windowed and in fullscreen mode. Howeverm, when in fullscreen mode and then switching to windowed mode, the game resizes to what the window would be, but stays in the top-left corner and doesn't get any window decoration (borders, title bar). The rest of the screen somehow mirrors the game, but messed up like the screens in this thread (and like games I run in wine). However, when starting the game directly into windowed mode everything works fine.

Somehow I only hit this bug when using wine.

Originally posted by brot View Post
    Someone knows if amd/ati knows about this bug, or where to report it to them ?
    I filed a bug at the unofficial bugzilla at http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1173 and reported a ticket at amd.com: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...94&task=ticket , but no response yet.
    But after all, it has been weekend.

Comment

im using ceega to run wow. and i have the same corruption.. but i just switch to console and back to X and corruption disappears

Comment

I have the same problem with 8-6 driver (splitted, garbled screen) trying to run Lord of the Rings Online over Wine on Ubuntu Hardy 32-bit, mobility radeon x1600. Switching to console and back does not help - I have to restart X.

Comment

For those of you experiencing screen corruption/splitting:

Check what resolution the corrupt application is launching. I had this issue with mythtv (fullscreen or windowed) on my X1400 driven 1680x1050 laptop screen. By forcing mythtv to 1680x1024 or 1680x1080 the corruption cleared up! This is again some wacky thing about the 1050 lines resolution.

And I registered to bring you this... ain't I nice ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi_kid_aka_bod View Post
            For those of you experiencing screen corruption/splitting:

Check what resolution the corrupt application is launching. I had this issue with mythtv (fullscreen or windowed) on my X1400 driven 1680x1050 laptop screen. By forcing mythtv to 1680x1024 or 1680x1080 the corruption cleared up! This is again some wacky thing about the 1050 lines resolution.

And I registered to bring you this... ain't I nice ;-)
            You are very nice indeed! Google earth works fine for me, as it runs in 1680x1050. However, most of my OpenGL apps cannot utilise such a high resolution, so I'm forced to live with the corruption.

Another nasty issue I experience with my x1600 on 32-bit hardy: on some sessions, using Xv video crashes my X or the hosting app. This happens in about 30%-40% of the sessions. Restarting X does not solve the issue, and I have to reboot the machine hoping for a "good session" this time. Any ideas? How can I help debugging this?

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Ferret View Post
              You are very nice indeed! Google earth works fine for me, as it runs in 1680x1050. However, most of my OpenGL apps cannot utilise such a high resolution, so I'm forced to live with the corruption.

Another nasty issue I experience with my x1600 on 32-bit hardy: on some sessions, using Xv video crashes my X or the hosting app. This happens in about 30%-40% of the sessions. Restarting X does not solve the issue, and I have to reboot the machine hoping for a "good session" this time. Any ideas? How can I help debugging this?
              Yeah, googleearth (henceforth known as "The Great Time Waster") worked for me too (windowed and fullscreen). MythTV was the first time I experienced this. Some more odd data points:
              • 1680x1049 and 1680x1051 work. Only 1680x1050 seems to break things. Unfortunately the top and bottom gnome panels are still visible if the res isn't 1680x1050.
              • The breakage is with the MythTV Qt renderer. If I change the renderer to OpenGL, I get corruption while it scales the theme (I presume this is using Qt) then when the OpenGL renderer starts the corruption dissappears. Unfortunately there's still some issue with OpenGL renderer active that makes MythTV unusable. I haven't yet sussed out if it's MythTV or fglrx at fault.

I'm on 32-bit hardy as well. No real help for you, but I am seeing much more instability than I was used to with fiesty.

Comment

I have also been hit by this bug on my Radeon X1200 in my laptop. Most prominently this bug happens with Wine applications, either accelerated windows, or 2D DirectDraw windows. However, I have seen this problem with other native programs as well, for example OpenGL applications running at non-native (for the laptop's display) resolutions, and on this lower-end card, that means pretty much any accelerated application (as the native resolution for the display is 1280x800).

From my own experience and what I've seen on this thread it would appear that:
                1. Wine is the main trigger for this corruption.
                2. Some native applications may be affected as well, and it seems to be "resolution dependent".

What I have not seen mentioned here, is that most native GLX applications seem to crash (segmentation fault) at exit (to test this, just see the output of glxinfo, in my case, the last message is a segmentation fault notice, also registered in dmesg).

Comment

Ok, here's some more data in case any of you dev's actually read this:

My monitor's native and my desktop resolution is 1280x1024.

- Wine
                  Corruption always appaears, even some game launchers (Track Mania Nations Forvever) / game setup utilities (SW: Knights of the Old Republic) that are seperate executables and don't touch the current screen resulotion. (At least there is no flickering or anything when using 8.5)

Closing the app and killing all wine processes or changing resultion with xrandr has no effect, only restarting X removes the corruption.

- Sauerbraten
                  In fullscreen mode, only resolutions between 1024x768 and 1280x1024 (both exclusive), namely 1152x768 1200x960 and 1280x800, cause corruption. Changing to resolutions above 1280x1024 has no effect.

When switching to windowed mode, the window gets resized and it's contens are drawn fine, but receives no window decorations and the remainder of the screen (the part not covered by the "window") mirrors the parts of the window content, but corrupted.

When in windowed mode, changing resolution (to any resolution, even 1280x1024 and 1024x768) shows the window decoration, but also corrupts the screen with the pattern described in this thread. Since Sauerbraten refuses to remember that it was in windowed mode, I didn't test how it behaves when started directly into windowed mode.

As reported for other native apps, closing Sauerbraten (cleanly or by killing the process) removes the corruption.

- Nexuiz
                  I haven't found any resolution causing permanent corruption, even changing to 1280x800 (the only one i can select that fails with Sauerbraten) succeeds.

However, when starting nexuiz or changing resolutions I sometimes get the split screen / checkerboard corruption, but only at my monitors native resolution or above. This corruption is preceded by the nexuiz window flashing a few times and the desktop becoming visible and only stays for a few seconds at most.

- Warsow
                  No corruption at all experienced in both fullscreen and windowed modes.

Comment

I have the same problem. An ATI Radeon HD 3870 with fglrx drivers 8.6, Wine 1.1.0, and direct rendering works great. Native linux games (mainly Urban Terror) work perfectly, better than any other linux games ever have, it's just as fast and responsive as in Windows. When I have Compiz enabled, that works great as well. When I run Steam in Wine, no corrution, Steam displays fine. When I start Counter-Strike: Source, the corrution appears halfway through loading, before the game display even comes up. The only way to fix it, as any users have already said, is to restart the X server.

I tried editing my xorg configuration file to see if it would help. I disabled composite rendering, then I replaced the glx module with dri, restarted the X server, tried again, and the corruption is still there.

As a side note, with any drivers before catalyst 8.6, (7.12 through 8.5) CSS and all other wine games crash. I was really hoping 8.6 would work with wine, as CSS crashes on startup in Vista. Funny how at times, wine works better than the operating system it's trying to emulate.

Comment

Same problem with ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, catalyst 8.6, tried with wine 0.9.61 and 1.0.. Running a up-to-date Arch linux system with everything from the official repos.. Screen goes checkered and had to take a photo with my cam to get the look since screencap looks "fine".. Here are my photos:

and

wine worked just fine last week with catalyst 8.5....

edit: also using 1680x1050 screen resolution

edit2: tried with 1280x1024 resolution and same screen distortion happens..
                      Last edited by Sekra; 29 June 2008, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X