Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
    the fix is to restart your xorg server.
    You mean each time you run a wine app???

Comment

yes, for wine, however i was also able to get this to appear using smplayer ( a front end to mplayer ) with the video output set to...
      gl:yuv=3

and this time, the fix for this was to close the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
        yes, for wine, however i was also able to get this to appear using smplayer ( a front end to mplayer ) with the video output set to...
        gl:yuv=3

and this time, the fix for this was to close the program.
        Same here! i reproduced the bug playing a video with gmplayer on the external monitor of a dual head configuration!
        Playing at full screen it came out. Closing it solved the problem!

edit: i think it's related to the new amdxmm... ysterday when i hacked in an ugly way the ebuild to install the new driver it didn't get loaded and the problem was not there! (if i'm not wrong! XD)

Comment

I could reprduce the 3rd picture when I start Nexuiz. To solve it I had to completely shutdown the internal monitor and keep only the external.

Comment

i had something similar on a hd3870 when using crossover games to load steam with 8.6 - 8.5 n 8.4 were fine.

Comment

I have the same problem but with Blender. The screen becomes corrupted when i start Blender. But when i shut it down it goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                edit: i think it's related to the new amdxmm... ysterday when i hacked in an ugly way the ebuild to install the new driver it didn't get loaded and the problem was not there! (if i'm not wrong! XD)
                I renamed my amdxmm.so and restarted X. The log files showed that the amdxmm module could not be loaded, however the problem remained (while native OpenGL apps still worked).

So far, everyone that posted in this screen seems to get the corruption, even if ther initially reported being fine:

- Saist: Cedega (fine with native OpenGL), no Compiz, Radeon HD 3870 / Radeon 9600
                - aniruddha: Cedega/Wine/Crossover Games, no Compiz, Gentoo
                - hehe2: Wine/Cedega, Slackware 12.1 (kernel 2.6.24.7/2.6.25.7), no Compiz, Radeon HD 3870X2
                - bierbo24: Wine 1.0, Gentoo amd64
                - Dandel: Wine 1.0 (2D app) / smplayer /w video outpu set to gl:yuv=3, Ubuntu 8.04, Radeon X1900GT
                - Vighy: gmplayer on external monitor, Gentoo amd64 (kernel tuxonice-sources-2.6.25-r4) (corruption solved by closing)
                - sundown: Nexuiz (solved by shutting down internal monitor)
                - hmmm: Crossover Games loading Steam, Radeon HD 3870
                - ZedDB: Blender (corruption solved by closing)

- Me: Wine 1.0, Gentoo x86 (kernel gentoo-sources 2.6.24-r8), no Compiz, xorg 7.3 / server 1.4.2, single monitor (configured and connected), Radeon X1600 XT
                solved only by restarting X; closing the program and changing resolution with xrandr did not remove corruption

Hmm, I don't see any patterns except, that only people that get the screen corruption with native OpenGL apps reported that closing the programm solved the problem and closing the program (plus 'wineserver -k') did NOT solve the screen corruption for me.

About time for someone from AMD to take notice of this.

edit: I played around a bit with the 8.5 and 8.6 drivers: Interestingly, when loading the system and X with the Catalyst 8.6 driver and the downgrading to 8.5, but neither reloading the kernel module nor restarting X, I don't get any corruption anymore. It even works with the 8.6 configuration files ( etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default, /etc/ati/atiogl.xml, /etc/ati/control and /etc/ati/signature) in etc. Hope this helps.
                Last edited by dscharrer; 21 June 2008, 05:16 AM.

Comment

same here

Hi everyone, i looked here if anyone has the same problem that i have, and it looks like i am not the only one. i am back to 8.5 now.

I bought that nice radeon 3850, as i really like what amd does with their linux support and opensource etc. so if anyone at ati/amd is reading this: you are doing the right thing, i was a hardcore nvidia user, but since you started your linux support thingy i wanted to switch.

back to topic

the 8.6 driver has the same problem as the first post shows in the screenshots. But i discovered that this only happens if its an opengl window. so if i start etqw, everything works and is displayed right. As soon as i switch to windowed mode i get the corrupted screen.
                  Wine gets always started in a window here so i have the same problem here.

The issues are only with the new 8.6 drivers, so somewhere there is a regression in between those releases. Someone knows if amd/ati knows about this bug, or where to report it to them ?

If screenshots could help i could make some btw.

System is a Opteron 170, dfi nf4-sli-d, gentoo ~amd64, gcc 4.3.1, kernel 2.6.25.7.

Thanks for having such a great forum btw, and have a nice day everyone

Comment

Originally posted by brot View Post
                    the 8.6 driver has the same problem as the first post shows in the screenshots. But i discovered that this only happens if its an opengl window.
                    THANK YOU for pointing this out!
                    Blender runs without corruption in fullscreen mode. (blender -W)

Comment

This is the first time I have ever had an issue with any other their driver releases. Sure, I've had stuff not work before and had to wait for them to fix it, but this is the first time that it is an issue causing me to downgrade to a previous release.

I am also getting the issue, primarily when trying to run wine and occasionally while using mplayer. However, I don't always get ti while running wine. I can open up an use Guitar Pro 5.x with no issues whatsoever, yet when I try to load GTA - San Andreas I get the corruption immediately.

Perhaps it has something to do with the recent changes they made to the Textured Video and related parts of the driver code?

Comment

Working...
                      X