Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
    Wow, that rocks!

BTW: grammar error in last paragraph: "Once again, apologizes that the".
    Doh, thanks, fixed.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have Geforces 8600GT, 6600, FX5200, 4 MX 440, 2 MX 400 * 2, Riva TNT 2 AGP, Riva TNT 2 PCI * 2 and a Riva TNT.

Next card is going to be AMD. Goodbye nvidia, you did well for a time, but your time is OVER!

Kudos to AMD!
      Last edited by [Knuckles]; 19 June 2008, 11:46 AM. Reason: Hehe small typo.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
        Next card is going to be AMD. Goodbye nvidia, you did well for a time, but your time is OVER!

Kudos to AMD!
        That's exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

4800 series for real gamers and (upcoming) 4600 series for multimedia/middle-end games and integrated 780G/790GX for multimedia/lower-end games only should satisfy everyone who wants to switch over to AMD in the future...

Comment

d2kx, very true, anyways don't ignore the 4600/3600 series of cards if your wanting to do a low cost gaming computer, because both of those will perform a lot better than most of the older cards that are on the market... as for a quick note, i can't wait for crossfire support to become completely available on linux.

Comment

All this is good, but it's really PITA that AMD/ATI drivers aren't compatible with the latest stable Linux kernel available. That's one of the advantages of Nvidia drivers and that's why I'm considering get an Nvidia soon.

If this doesn't change, maybe I will need to change to Nvidia. Sorry, but I prefer to be able to update the kernel to the latest one than having the AMD alternative.

And keep in mind that Nouveau project progress a lot more than some people may think, being usable for NV40 cards and even showing quite interesting results in 3D support. So in practice Nvidia has better FOSS support, even if isn't official by Nvidia (they should hire those guys for working full time on Nouveau, but that's another matter).

Comment

Do you want a Linux live distro with autoinstaller for fglrx 8-6 and kernel 2.6.26 (also includes Nvidia 177.13) and my favorite test: gl2benchmark?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  All this is good, but it's really PITA that AMD/ATI drivers aren't compatible with the latest stable Linux kernel available. That's one of the advantages of Nvidia drivers and that's why I'm considering get an Nvidia soon.

If this doesn't change, maybe I will need to change to Nvidia. Sorry, but I prefer to be able to update the kernel to the latest one than having the AMD alternative.

And keep in mind that Nouveau project progress a lot more than some people may think, being usable for NV40 cards and even showing quite interesting results in 3D support. So in practice Nvidia has better FOSS support, even if isn't official by Nvidia (they should hire those guys for working full time on Nouveau, but that's another matter).
                  Just because it works "quite well" that doesn't mean the FOSS support is better.
                  The radeon and radeonhd drivers already got full (and stable) 2D accel on anything up to R500 (R600 too I think) and many 3D games already work very well.
                  I understand you point, but a reverse engineered driver will never outperform a well written driver that was written using provided docs.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    4800 series for real gamers and (upcoming) 4600 series for multimedia/middle-end games and integrated 780G/790GX for multimedia/lower-end games only should satisfy everyone who wants to switch over to AMD in the future...
                    AMD has moved the launch date of the HD 4850 forward, launching it today. The cards are positioned in the $200 range and offer several new features and performance improvements. According to our benchmark results AMD has found a winner with this card that offers excellent price/performance and energy efficiency.

Comment

timofonic, fglrx supports latest stable kernel series since last month and the unstable kernel series is supported with external patches, as Kano already mentioned. Open Source-wise, AMD is/will be leading if nVidia does no announce own plans soon...

I forget to say that Michael's cards look awesome

sundown, they broke the NDA, because it is only allowed to post benchmarks today, and nothing else like power consumption, fan noise etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X