No announcement yet.

AMD Makes An Evolutionary Leap In Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aww *hugs ATI* Such a nice change. I'd bought this PC with an ATI card about 2 months before I made a decision to start playing with Linux (which I not run 95% of the time). Imagine my joy when I found out how dismal support for my card was. It's come a hell of a long way, and to be honest I'm more excited about the fact that the drivers are going into CDs than anything else. Visible signs that there is good support will make people curious about the Penguin.. for one of the first times anyone who buys hardware will see another OS put along-side Windows and Mac as an equal. That's huge.

Comment

A year or two ago I changed all my ATI cards for nvidia (in the boxes I use and sell).

Now I'm picking up a few boards with integrated ATI to see if I shouldn't change back to ATI.

Certainly worth another look. I am amazed that ATI has told the MS crowd to go stuff themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahux View Post
        Aww *hugs ATI* Such a nice change. I'd bought this PC with an ATI card about 2 months before I made a decision to start playing with Linux (which I not run 95% of the time). Imagine my joy when I found out how dismal support for my card was. It's come a hell of a long way, and to be honest I'm more excited about the fact that the drivers are going into CDs than anything else. Visible signs that there is good support will make people curious about the Penguin.. for one of the first times anyone who buys hardware will see another OS put along-side Windows and Mac as an equal. That's huge.
        The drivers being on the CD doesn't really do much in my eyes. The Linux kernel moves to quickly compared to the windows one meaning new users should really use the distro's package manager to install it instead of the ones of the CD or they might end up without a working x.org when upgrading.

Comment

Theater 550/650 Support

I definitely applaud ATI/AMDs efforts. Who would that thought 5 years ago we'd be where we are today?

However, there is one big glaring piece of the puzzle missing; ATI/AMD makes some of the best TV tuners around (Theater 550, 600, 650, etc)...but where's the linux love?

I wish I could try MythTV, but until there's some support...

-S

Comment

finally i can buy ati hardware.
            I have had to put up with nvidia crap for years.

it almost brings tears to my eyes.

Comment

so cool

so going to get me a ATI/AMD card next!!!!!!!!!!

This is such great news!

Comment

In regards to card sellers putting "linux" on their boxes.

Its not like they actually _support_ windows either ? try and get a bug fixed. The total sum of support is "re-install" if that doesn't work.. er... um.. umm.. go get the ones from $parentcompany.. bye !

Comment

I definitely applaud ATI/AMDs efforts. Who would that thought 5 years ago we'd be where we are today?
                  actually i'd like to be 1 year later from here, with even more mature opensource drivers ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Here something to demonstrate some ati errors (try gl2benchmark test 3+4 on BOTH nvidia geforce 6+ AND ati):

this also demonstrates the fglrx patches for kernel 2.6.26 in my fglrx script based on:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/239967
                    You mentioned the magic word, PATCHES.

Why do I must patch the kernel all time just for AMD/ATI fglrx support? Why not just supported with the vanilla kernel? That stuff is PITA to the user, I just want to use the latest kernel for my distro (gentoo-sources in Gentoo, for example) and put the fglrx driver on it without need to do manual patching with every kernel update.

I think Nvidia makes things easier, as they are more compatible with latest Linux kernels without need of patching all time. What do you think?

Sorry if this can be half offtopic or seem like trolling to some people, but I think being overoptimistic instead critical and objective makes companies lazy in their efforts.

OT: I think closed source drivers must be totally eliminated from the FLOSS world at long term, this situation is ridicule and against the spirit of the Free Source movement. I see some hope, as it seems companies are starting to understand it or at least being moved to it in a frictional way. I think all this problems with closed source drivers never would exist if these drivers were FOSS.
                    Last edited by timofonic; 20 June 2008, 03:50 AM.

Comment

You don't patch the kernel, you patch the DRIVER. Don't get this wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X