Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 4.4 To Have A New OpenGL Back-End

Phoronix: LibreOffice 4.4 To Have A New OpenGL Back-End

Michael Meeks has shared that LibreOffice 4.4 will feature some dramatic OpenGL improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Afaik moving to OpenGL is much more difficult than the author believes.
    1. Afaik what you do on the CPU is perfect quality, while the GPUs are more sloppy about quality and following the GL specs, especially the older ones.
    2. OpenGL speed is a valid point for medium or big tasks (like image scaling), but smaller tasks like drawing a line can be (a lot) faster on the CPU and varies widely on the GPU because on the quality and settings of the OpenGL drivers.
    3. Afaik the typical best solution is to combine the best of these worlds, which is also very sophisticated to implement.

Hence the easiest solution would be to do a OpenGL only solution but drop support for old GPUs because afaik the biggest OpenGL inconsistencies (problems) happen among old video cards (pre GL3).
    Last edited by mark45; 10 November 2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      1. Afaik what you do on the CPU is perfect quality, while the GPUs are more sloppy about quality and following the GL specs, especially the older ones.
      2. OpenGL speed is a valid point for medium or big tasks (like image scaling), but smaller tasks like drawing a line can be (a lot) faster on the CPU and varies widely on the GPU because on the quality and settings of the OpenGL drivers.
      3. Afaik the typical best solution is to combine the best of these worlds, which is also very sophisticated to implement.

Hence the easiest solution would be to do a OpenGL only solution but drop support for old GPUs because afaik the biggest OpenGL inconsistencies (problems) happen among old video cards (pre GL3).
      That is a whole lot of "Afaik".

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

It's already there. Go read the source. VCL is an abstraction layer of all UI elements on top of OpenGL. The heavy lifting has been done.

I sure as hell hope they aren't targeting any system that is older than OpenGL 3.3 compliant. We have nearly a decade of products since OpenGL 3.3 based GPUs arrived.

Comment

Yet another useless feature no one wants?

It's pretty geeky, no doubt, but I just don't see how this will help me replace Microsoft Office for my daily use. Does MS-Office use DirectX for anything? At least it doesn't look as useless as the "Personas" skinning feature.

Comment

Originally posted by wikinevick View Post
            It's pretty geeky, no doubt, but I just don't see how this will help me replace Microsoft Office for my daily use. Does MS-Office use DirectX for anything? At least it doesn't look as useless as the "Personas" skinning feature.
            The sole use of an office suite isnt just "How well does this render another company's files" if you want that then just get a viewer. A full office suite also has to handle creating files-- which if you hadn't just revealed your ignorance by showing you hadn't read the attached blog post-- you'd know that this effects the way you embed and handle images into documents and most importantly is one of the steps necessary to get LibreOffice working on Wayland.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I moved to OpenOffice long ago, when I couldn't open a newer MS Office *.doc anymore.- Apart reading older docs it also had pdf export before other offices.

Originally posted by wikinevick View Post

Comment

So which is the good office suite today, is it LibreOffice or OpenOffice or some other?

Too bad they got incompatible licenses and the forks cant merge again...

Now we're left with a fragmented mess, a shattered developer community and weak brands.

Comment

There's also Neo and some other. Libreoffice is all I ever need, on MS Office 90% of the functions I've never used.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    So which is the good office suite today, is it LibreOffice or OpenOffice or some other?

Too bad they got incompatible licenses and the forks cant merge again...

Now we're left with a fragmented mess, a shattered developer community and weak brands.
                    Indeed. The differences between LibreOffice and OpenOffice are rather minimal and neither of them has a killer feature. LibreOffice seems to be taking all the features from OpenOffice but is somewhat more unstable, perhaps a sign of the lack of coordination between both projects

Comment

Working...
                    X