HP tx2500z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP tx2500z

I just noticed an extremely good deal on the HP tx2500z on slickdeals.net, and am seriously debating buying it. I will be a freshman at Tufts University this fall, and I am have been planning on buying a tablet PC for school. Originally I had planned on buying a Fujitsu Lifebook T4220 but the deal on the tx2500z caught my eye because of the great specs and low price.

After an instant rebate I would be left with:
    Processor: AMD Turion(TM) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-86 (2.4 GHz)
    Display 12.1" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) w/Integrated Touch-screen
    Memory 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Graphics Card ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics
    Personalization HP Imprint Finish (Echo) + Microphone + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam
    Networking Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n and Bluetooth
    Hard Drive 50% OFF 250GB 5400RPM from 160GB 5400RPM!!
    Primary CD/DVD Drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
    Primary Battery 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    all for roughly 1,100 USD.

I think this is incredible, especially since the Lifebook would cost over double that for similiar specs. The main advantages to the LifeBook is the low weight, and the higher resolution screen (SXGA+)

The big question is, will it run Linux, specifically Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, but as far as I know (and could find through google) AMD's Puma platform has never been used with Linux.

So I guess I'm looking for advice. This is an extremely tempting offer, and I'm worried it won't last long, so I need to make a decision quickly. I definitely prefer AMD over Intel and nVidia, and I would love for my new notebook to be a Puma, but I need to know it will work without any critical problems.

Also, I haven't really been following the RadeonHD development (since I've been using this MX 4000 since the dawn of time). Would I be able to get any hardware acceleration from the integrated graphics (HD 3200) on this machine, or would I have to use fglrx?

Finally, if I do choose to buy the tx2500z, should I go with the 6 cell or 8 cell battery? Long battery life is definitely a plus, but mobility is extremely important to me too. I'll be bringing this to class with me, so the lighter and more portable, the better, but at the same time, it would be extremely bad if it died in the middle of a lecture.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by MGrunde; 19 June 2008, 03:53 AM.

I saw the same deal, most likely, and I almost bought it on the spot. But, I didn't have the money just yet, so I waited. The sale ends on the 5th, so I'm screwed out of it.

However, I have friends that work at my local Office Depot, so they let me try a Hardy 64bit LiveCD, and it did work. The only interesting thing I can see is the b43fw-cutter being annoying and the touchscreen with evtouch and xgl. Compiz-fusion didn't run on the liveCD, which is kind of annoying, so that might take some post install tinkering, but that's what I enjoy most.

Please, let me know if you get it and how it works. I can't stand Vista and refuse to even turn my new one on with Vista still on it. I'll put XP on it first.

Comment

Working...
    X